Insurance on flipping / BRRRR a residential home

Insurance on flipping / BRRRR a residential home

Ryan SaullePro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Rahway, NJ · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 123 votes

Hey BP members!

I was wondering if you have to get vacancy insurance for the few months while rehabbing a property if you plan on flipping. 

Also if you plan on BRRRR a property, would you get vacancy insurance while you're rehabbing and then cancel that policy and get a different home insurance policy after renters move in?

Thanks, 

Ryan

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Temecula, CA · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
9y
It just depends on the insurance company. There are landlord policies that allow for certain periods of vacancy for repairs. You will just need to confirm it with your insurance agent, the periods are usually 30 or 60 days.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Temecula, CA · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    It just depends on the insurance company. There are landlord policies that allow for certain periods of vacancy for repairs. You will just need to confirm it with your insurance agent, the periods are usually 30 or 60 days.
  • Insurance Agent · Richmond, RI · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Hi Ryan,

    I would speak to your current agent about two things:

    1. Extending liability from either your primary policy or taking out a separate vacant policy for the liability exposure (kids break in and fall through the unfinished open floor boards and breaks their leg).

    2. Take out a builders risk policy for the property exposure, depending on how much renovation you're doing. This way if you leave the space heater plugged in over night and the building burns down, you still have coverage.

    Depending on your current insurance policies and carrier though, there's no way to give a definite answer.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I am working on a big fixer and have a builder's risk policy.  I also have an umbrella for liability.  When I was younger and didn't know the difference, I had an insurance agent come by to check on a rental that I was fixing.  She noticed some repair work...I can't remember what she could see, perhaps the A/C which was outside...but, anyway it triggered a phone call to me, and she insisted I needed a more rigorous policy.  It makes sense, since the overall risk of damage is higher for a vacant house than for an occupied house.  

    We had a long vacancy while we cleared out my MILs house upon her passing away (about 7 months of clearing and sorting) we also had a policy intended for vacant properties.  Once we put the house back in service as a rental, we got an updated landlord type of policy.  

  • Ryan SaullePro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Rahway, NJ · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses!

  • Ryan SaullePro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Rahway, NJ · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    Hey everyone, adding to my insurance question. I recently purchased a house for a quick flip. I have a builders risk insurance policy and a liability insurance policy on the property. Would I also need homeowners insurance? Should be done rehabbing within 2 months and after that nobody will be living there as a plan to sell the property.

    Thanks again!

    Ryan

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    You do not need both policies at the same time. The builders risk policy covers the property during renovation (assuming that you have adequate coverage for the value of the property) then the landlords policy would take over once the renovations are completed
  • Ryan SaullePro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Rahway, NJ · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    Thank you! @Jason D.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.