Buying First Multi-Unit in Tri-Taylor, Pilsen or Bridgeport - FHA

Buying First Multi-Unit in Tri-Taylor, Pilsen or Bridgeport - FHA

Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hi folks!

Over the last few months I've been on a mission to purchase my first investment property. During this time, I've been frequently using BP as a resource to help me along. You guys have some truly amazing advice and I Iove reading the forums, I'm excited to finally join the community. =) 

I'm a Chicago native born and bred, I know the city and it's neighborhoods very well but there's still a lot I don't know so I'm hoping you guys can help shed some light on the market trends in these specific areas. 

I'm going with an FHA + 203k loan and would prefer a 4 unit building but I will also gladly go with a 3 unit. I've narrowed it down to two possible scenarios, either purchase an existing 3-4 unit and do a gut rehab or purchase a 2-4 unit and completely demolish to build a-new. To clarify, my mortgage broker verified that both scenarios fall within the FHA guidelines and signed off on the approval letters for my offers so far, so we're all good on that aspect.

The primary neighborhoods I've been looking at are Tri-Taylor, Pilsen and Bridgeport. I'm set on these three areas because I feel like their great or soon-to-be-great neighborhoods where I can purchase/rehab/construct a property for a decent price while enjoying the higher rental incomes you see in Logan Square or Ukrainian Village (give or take). Also, these neighborhoods are mostly zoned for RT-4 and have moderate to low taxes which is exactly what I'm looking for. 

A standard Chicago lot is 25 x 125 which equals 3,125 square feet. Under RT-4 zoning, I have to allocate at minimum 1000 square feet per unit. So I'm limited to building a new 3 flat but the upside is I can duplex the basement with the first unit, effectively doubling the square footage of that unit because the basement area does not count towards the total building square footage. Here is an example of exactly the type of building I want to build or at least very close to it: 

2523 W Flournoy St.

Now the really frustrating part to my real estate adventure so far is that I put on offer on a 2 unit building in Tri-Taylor that was utterly distressed and needed a complete gut. They were asking 90k for the property which was perfect because I can demolish that building and construct my modern 3 flat. So I offered 90k and the listing agent responds saying the highest bid is slightly over 100k. Okay, so I offer 115k. Well the property went contingent, they accepted an offer that was lower than mine because it was cash. A week later the property goes back on market so I offer 120k! I wanted this so one so badly and they still refused my offer and went with the second highest cash offer instead. The property went contingent again and is now gone. This is the second property I lost where my offer was the highest but the seller went with the second highest offer because it was cash and they can close much sooner vs. my FHA loan which takes about 2 months to close.

So... this forced me to consider looking at higher priced properties to do the same exact project above. It also forced me to consider buying an existing building and just rehabbing it. I have not seen any deals as good as that in a neighborhood as good as that before or since losing this property. I feel that even if another deal surfaces, I'll probably lose that one to cash investors as well. Maybe the competition isn't as cut throat when listing prices are mildly higher? I wouldn't know...

So my questions for you wonderful people here are:

1. Has anyone carried out a project similar to this? I want to know ball park costs to build a 3 flat like the one above with the range of specs I mentioned. I want higher tier finishings but nothing too extravagant. I want to come up with a limit on how much I can spend acquiring a property. I'm now looking at properties in the 200-300k range..

2. Does anyone have experience being a landlord in these neighborhoods? Market analysis has revealed that for 2-3 bedroom apartments in the 1000-1250 square foot range have rents going for $1700-$2000 and even higher. These are of course either new construction units or beautifully rehabbed units with very good quality finishings. Can anyone confirm this? Are there people in these neighborhoods that can afford higher rent rates or would I have a hard time finding tenants?

3. Are there certain sections or blocks in these neighborhoods that are better than others? For example, in Pilsen is it better to stay more east by Ashland and Halsted or are the areas by Western Ave just as good in terms of crime and affordability?

4. Am I in over my head or is what I'm trying to do totally feasible and realistic? Should I consider just rehabbing an existing building because its more cost effective? I would love some advice on what would be the best route for me to take in these neighborhoods. 

5. Are there other options I could potentially take advantage of that I'm not aware of? 

Lastly, here's some financial background to give you some context: I have 25k to put as a down payment. So technically the highest I could go with FHA + 203k loan is about $700,000 total costs at closing since 3.5% down of $700,000 is almost $25,000. But I don't NEED to go that high, I want to keep my total costs around $450-$500k all said and done. I know I have to live there for at least one year per FHA guidelines so I'm shooting for a scenario where the rental income from the first two units will hopefully cover (or at least almost cover) the mortgage + PMI + Interest + property taxes + homeowners insurance + all other potential costs such as waste management, etc... Then after a year I move and I'm hoping the rental income from the 3rd unit will start yielding a profit.

I finished college about a  year ago and have a great career working as an IT professional. But my student loans are astronomically crippling so I'm simply trying to make a profit of around $1000-$1500 from my first investment property in order to help pay off my student debt. I feel that an investment property is my best shot at achieving a little financial freedom now and total financial freedom in the future with the possibility of acquiring a few more buildings down the line. Most importantly, it would help reduce stress because I'm currently scraping by making these payments.

My agent, architect and contractor have all been very helpful but at this point I feel overwhelmed and don't know which outcome would be the wisest and most lucrative. I also want to avoid over paying for a property and then be left in more of a financial hole than I began with. I'm still extremely motivated to do this, I'm just looking for a nudge in the right direction =DDD 

Apologies for the long post! I hope I did not confuse anyone, please feel free to ask if you need me to clarify anything. I look forward to hearing your advice and I truly appreciate your time and help, thank you so much!!!

Cheers

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Crystal SmithPro Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

 You have a lot of info & questions in this post.  

  • Location- Tri-Taylor, Pilsen & Bridgeport are great areas to execute your plan.  Since your plan is to live in the property I'd spend some time in each neighborhood figuring out where you want to live based on amenities that you find important.  W/ regards to crime statistics you can use Trulia crime map to review if a block is hot or not.  
  • Competing- Your agent should be able to tell you if you'll be competing against cash offers at the higher price. (Hint: You'll still be competing against cash sales.) Another hint: Many of the offers whether at higher or lower prices may state cash but they are actually Hard Money loans that can close in 14 days or less, just like cash. Since you're already pre-qualified for an FHA loan, evaluate whether it make sense or not for you to use a Hard Money loan for the purchase & renovation then refinance once complete into the FHA loan.  Caution:  Make sure you fully understand the underwriting requirements & how much cash you'll need if you use this approach.  Also, make sure the loan is for at least 13 months. This will keep you out of seasoning trouble when it comes time to refinance.  You may not have to go to higher price properties if this approach makes sense after your evaluation
  • Since you have a contractor he should be able to provide you w/ ballpark estimates for building or renovating a 3 unit building.  Regarding high tier finishes- Why?   If you're going to manage this as a business to create cash flow why are you starting out thinking that it should be high tier finishes?  You should be focused on low to medium tier finishes that look high tier.  
  • Rental rates- You have a realtor w/ access to data & h/she should be able to tell you what the market will stand w/ respect to rents.
  • Are you in over your head- My 1st reaction to this was yes.  But since you don't have a deal yet then the answer is no.  Since you know you need cash flow between $1K to $1.5K per month to meet your goals, stick to deals that either partially or wholly satisfy those goals.  Don't overbid for a property unless it still satisfies your goals.  Don't get emotional about a property.  
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Mark Cison

    I am not sure who you are working with, but I would highly recommend you talk to Brie Schmidt here on BP. She has helped a lot of folks that attend her meetup pull off the FHA 203K loan. I will tell you that the really great "steals" will only go for cash right now. The listing agents probably aren't even considering your offer, because a few thousand bucks means nothing compared to the headache of an FHA appraisal. They are getting multiple (and I mean 3 or more) cash offers on these deals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2017 · 147 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    I'm reading the No and Low Money DOWN book by @Brandon Turner and it talks about how to get creative financing. Maybe look into private lenders or hard money. If you can do a quick turn around on a really great deal these options might be of benefit to you. 

    I was in a similar situation to you regarding cash buyers. I was attempting to buy a condo in Frederick, MD and the asking price was $104,900. I offered $100,000 and they stalled and stalled. I offered 107,500 and they kept stalling. Long story short it was a foreclosure and with a little TLC it would be up to par with the rest of the units which were on market for $120K plus. 

    My advice to you is to not give up and find ways to get creative. Maybe they will do seller financing and you could get a line of credit for the rehab. Good luck!

  • Investor · Park ridge, IL · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    9y
    These neighborhoods are not the best . Especially with the high crime rates soaring in the city. All cash is pretty much the only norm right now in the good deals. I really feel that there will be another downturn in the housing market and waiting a while will greatly increase your chances of getting a good deal. And your getting emotional about investment property and that's definitely not what you should do. Words like desperate to get the property are a terrible way to look at buying a property. This will cloud sound judgment and force you to overpay for something. If you do your math the price will be determined by that and that only not emotion. If the math doesn't work then move on. There are thousands of properties on the market. Patients pays off in the long run.
  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

     You have a lot of info & questions in this post.  

    • Location- Tri-Taylor, Pilsen & Bridgeport are great areas to execute your plan.  Since your plan is to live in the property I'd spend some time in each neighborhood figuring out where you want to live based on amenities that you find important.  W/ regards to crime statistics you can use Trulia crime map to review if a block is hot or not.  
    • Competing- Your agent should be able to tell you if you'll be competing against cash offers at the higher price. (Hint: You'll still be competing against cash sales.) Another hint: Many of the offers whether at higher or lower prices may state cash but they are actually Hard Money loans that can close in 14 days or less, just like cash. Since you're already pre-qualified for an FHA loan, evaluate whether it make sense or not for you to use a Hard Money loan for the purchase & renovation then refinance once complete into the FHA loan.  Caution:  Make sure you fully understand the underwriting requirements & how much cash you'll need if you use this approach.  Also, make sure the loan is for at least 13 months. This will keep you out of seasoning trouble when it comes time to refinance.  You may not have to go to higher price properties if this approach makes sense after your evaluation
    • Since you have a contractor he should be able to provide you w/ ballpark estimates for building or renovating a 3 unit building.  Regarding high tier finishes- Why?   If you're going to manage this as a business to create cash flow why are you starting out thinking that it should be high tier finishes?  You should be focused on low to medium tier finishes that look high tier.  
    • Rental rates- You have a realtor w/ access to data & h/she should be able to tell you what the market will stand w/ respect to rents.
    • Are you in over your head- My 1st reaction to this was yes.  But since you don't have a deal yet then the answer is no.  Since you know you need cash flow between $1K to $1.5K per month to meet your goals, stick to deals that either partially or wholly satisfy those goals.  Don't overbid for a property unless it still satisfies your goals.  Don't get emotional about a property.  
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    Your rent estimates seem high for those neighborhoods IMO.  I'd look at rentometer.com and find some local rental comps as well.  In terms of safety, I'd look at some of the crime maps.  Walkscore has one that I like a lot, actually.  https://www.walkscore.com/IL/Chicago/Pilsen.  Pilsen, Bridgeport, and Heart of Chicago are all relatively safe areas but there are some aspects of crime around there.  

    I don't understand your desire to knock down an existing property and build from scratch.  I think you'll really have trouble making the numbers work in that scenario.  If I were you, I'd look for an existing 2-4 flat and look for something where you can add value doing cosmetic upgrades and/or finishing unfinished space.  You'll still have the opportunity to add value without having to build an entire building from scratch.  

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Mark Cison Have you thought about partnering with someone - friends/family. Good to way to raise additional capital and share the risk.

  • Wholetailer & Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 544 posts · 298 votes
    9y

    I'm not very familiar with the 203k loan other than it gives you money for repairs. For a tear-down, unless the land is worth at least as much if not 20% more than your loan I'm skeptical any bank, Hard money lender or anyone will loan against it especially if you have no track record.

    I agree with @Jeff Burdick a tear down and new build is a lot to take on as your first deal.

    I think real estate is a great vehicle to build wealth but unless they are very low interest rate, you may want to get your student loans under control first. Find a cheap rental farther from downtown get roommates, live frugally for a year. Do some freelance IT work so you have a cushion of cash because things will never go perfect with your rehabs you will probably go over budget and you don't want to lose all your hard work to foreclosure. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi All,

    Thanks for the great responses! 

    Just to note, I apologize for sounding "emotional" but that's not the message I wanted to convey. I'm frustrated because I had a plan but I'm learning that the competition is high so I'm exploring other options/possibilities. 

    My desire to knock down and build anew is because 1. I have to live there for at least a year 2. I like the modern designs of new buildings I see popping up all over the city 3. I believe new constructions can demand higher rents because everything is brand new. I also don't have to worry about random issues popping when things break (boilers, A/C, plumbing, etc..) I have been working in carpentry and construction with my father my whole life, we are willing and more than capable of taking on a project like this. Obviously we need to hire help and that's why I have my contractor but a lot of the work we will complete ourselves. 

    Since losing two deals I'm looking at other options now and considering ditching the new build entirely. For example, I went to look at a property in East Pilsen on Sunday with my architect. 1901 S Ruble St. Its a 4 flat, two separate buildings on one lot. Each unit is 700 square feet, 2 bedrooms 1 bath. Architect says I can duplex the basement with the first floor but only in the rear building. Along with that, we would do a total rehab of all units. I offered 255k and the sellers countered but I'm staying firm. They are currently charging $600 rent per unit but the interiors are horrid. 

    The math looks good but that's if I would charge around $1000-$1150 per unit after rehabbing all of them. After looking at rents in that area, those numbers look pretty solid and realistic. 

    Thank you!!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Mark,

    What are the ballpark estimates for the rehab or to build a new 3 flat? 

  • Palatine, IL · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Good luck, I hope you find a deal that works with your plan!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I got a serious quote for 700k brand new build. 3600sqft plus duplexed basement equals to total 4800 sqft. All brick 3 flat with garage. 

    For gut rehab, I got quoted 50-70k a unit at around 1000-1200sqft. 

    Both quotes are with labor and materials. 

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Just wanted to check in... how did this all turn out for you @Mark Cison?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.