North Carolina RE Broker Privledges in Ohio?

North Carolina RE Broker Privledges in Ohio?

Flipper · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 32 votes

Hello! I am looking into getting my RE Broker license in North Carolina, where I currently reside. It is not reciprocal with Ohio, as far as I can see. But I did read that some states allow certain privileges for out of state agents/brokers. Does anyone know, as an NC Broker, would I have any privileges in Ohio? I am an investor and would like to be able to use the Ohio MLS and schedule showings for myself. I would also like to know if I can sell my own properties in Ohio, as an NC Broker.

Lastly, as an NC Broker, if I have to obtain licensing in Ohio to achieve the aforementioned... would I have to be sponsored by an Ohio Broker and have X number of sales under my belt in order to become a Broker myself?  Or can I avoid the whole sponsorship and X sales requirement, since I am already an NC Broker?  I know that if I were an Ohio Broker, trying to become an NC Broker (the reverse), I do not have to take as many courses and I get some credit for being an Ohio Broker.

Looks like the big differences are that NC is a Broker state that does not require sponsorship and does not require X number of sales to become a Broker, while Ohio does.

Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    I just read on a website that both Ohio and North Carolina are "Cooperative" states.  This is the definition that I found.

    "Cooperative State

    A Cooperative state allows licensed real estate agents or brokers to physically enter their state to conduct real estate business via property showings, closings, negotiations etc. However, an agent or broker coming into a cooperative state to conduct business must have a co brokerage agreement in place with a licensee of that state. There are 26 cooperative states."

    So... If I am a licensed NC Broker and would like to use the Ohio MLS and schedule showings, I would have to have a co brokerage agreement with a broker in Ohio? Am I understanding that correctly?

    Can anyone tell me what a co brokerage agreement would entail?  I do have a friend in Ohio who is a broker, so that is a possibility.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.