Looking For People With Knowledge of Eagle Rock Resort

12 Replies

Hello BPers,

Anyone with experience or knowledge of Eagle Rock Resort in Hazelton, PA.  I stayed at Eagle rock recently and loved it.  The amenities, the fabulous homes, close to Philadelphia, all pluses.  I looked at a few houses while I was there.  However, my number 1 went under contract before I could place a bid.  I can now wait for a home(s) that meet my criteria to come onto the market or I was thinking of buying land and building new.

Does anyone have experience with Eagle Rock Resort?  What are your thoughts on purchasing an existing home versus a new build?

Thanks in advance for all the great feedback!

@Paulette Midgette

Eagle Rock is a fine place. But do note that there are many of these "resort-developments" in the area. These developments often need to deal with changes in ownership groups. Notably, there is often an unfortunate cycle where: (1) current ownership has financial struggles; (2) this requires the current ownership to fire sell or declare bankruptcy; (3) the development suffers as a result; (4) new ownership comes in and tries to fix it; and (5) the cycle repeats. I can't recall if Eagle Rock itself went through these issues, but there are plenty of other places that went through it. 

I assume new construction in Eagle Rock would cost around $400k to $500k? Note that at that price point, you can buy mansions in "better" areas nearby (e.g. Mountaintop, Dallas, etc.). That's a factor to consider if you have children and want them to be in a good school district.  These school districts do not compare to a district like Lower Merion but I believe they are still highly ranked. Can't say the same about the Hazelton School District (which I believe include Eagle Rock).  

I'm also assuming that you are looking to use these homes as a primary residence. If you want to chat about living in the area, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to talk! 

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it as legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

Hello @Chris K. ,  thank you for your comments.  I am only interested in Eagle Rock Resort as a vacation/secondary home.  Therefore, school districts are not an issue.  Also Eagle Rock new builds must be a minimum of 1600 sq. ft.  I have talked to a builder and a home of this size (without land purchase) can be put in place with as little as $250.000.  However, this price does not include a finished basement. 

@Paulette Midgette

Ah, I see. If so, Eagle Rock is probably good for you. You may also want to take a look at Split Rock, which is a more east. I think it has a lot more amenities although it's been a while since I went to both. 

$250,000 for 1,600SF isn't outrageous, but you could probably do it for cheaper.

If I were building a brand new home, I probably would skip a basement. It seems like everyone deals with flooding basements in our area some point.  Maybe Eagle Rock is fine.  

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it as legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

Don't really have much to add, but I saw Eagle Rock Resort and figured I would stop by.

Eagle rock is great! I am originally from the Hazleton Area (this spelling is the actual spelling, as the founders misspelled it). 

Thanks so much for your thoughts @Kerry Boyle .  And that you for bringing the proper spelling of Hazleton to my attention.  I am sorry I have been misspelling your home town. :-)

I lived in Eagle Rock for 17 years. I built a house there and I enjoyed the golf course and other amenities during that time. I also owned a lot next to my house. I sold the house and tried for years to sell the lot. I finally sold it for a small fraction of what I paid for it, but I was out from under the HOA fees and taxes which at about $1,700. per year, which is a sizeable sum for me, and as we know, these fees increase every year.

Bottom line is, DO NOT purchase property there for an investment.  Make sure you do your research.  Do not trust their sales pitch.  They Will NOT buy this property back.  There are many lots for sale here by the owners which can be had for well under $20,000., as opposed to the 50 or 60k that you will pay to Eagle Rock.  Check Zillow and the other real estate sites.  Many of these owners will take very low offers for their property...and for good reason.

@Ron Mack. I too own a lot in Eagle Rock. And they are saying it takes years to sell me. Can you suggest to be the best way to get rid of this property. Can I risk building a home at the slot and sell it which will be faster than selling a lot?  How you are able to see the lot with the lot price through the Real Estate team in Eagle Rock resort or from other real estate agents?

Vijay,  It all depends on the location of the lot.  If it is near the golf course, a house that you would build there would have a good chance of selling.  I've also seen houses there in prime locations that have been for sales for years and didn't sell for one reason or another, so building a spec house would also carry it's own risk.  If you do decide to go that route, I would suggest using one of the Eagle Rock approved builders.  I didn't, and the people at Eagle Rock, who approved permits and necessary utility connections, were not very cooperative, which made the process more stressful than it had to be.
I've seen lots listed on Zillow and the Aggressive Real Estate web site.  This is a local realtor.  I was listed with four different realtors over the past several years, but I don't think they were  putting too much effort in selling the lot.                                      I hope you are able to sell your lot.  Good luck