Engineer · Carlsbad/San Diego · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 97 votes
"Foreign buyers closed on $153 billion worth of U.S. residential properties between April 2016 and March 2017, a 49 percent jump from the period a year earlier, according to the National Association of Realtors. That surpasses the previous high, set in 2015."
"Chinese buyers led the pack for the fourth straight year, followed by buyers from Canada, the United Kingdom, Mexico and India."
"Florida, Texas and California drew the most international buyers."
I may have taught one or two of them, or maybe a few more, what it means to "season funds" so they could leverage & get a mortgage. Whoops.
Lol. BTW, from what you have seen, what is the main motivation for these folks to invest here? I would assume lot of these purchases are all cash for wealth sheltering, right?
I may have taught one or two of them, or maybe a few more, what it means to "season funds" so they could leverage & get a mortgage. Whoops.
Lol. BTW, from what you have seen, what is the main motivation for these folks to invest here? I would assume lot of these purchases are all cash for wealth sheltering, right?
I wouldn't know about the all cash ones. :)
It's seen as a safe/stable place to park wealth.
Our country was founded by, and for, the landed gentry, so a random edict of government isn't going to take anyone's real estate (or other assets) away extra-judicially... for the most part.
Who was the current regime in, say, China founded by, and for?
We worry about a cap rate being 4% or 7%, others are worried about a cap rate being -5,000% because a committee had a Marxist spasm. I don't know about you, but even a 2% cap sounds a lot better than -5,000%.