First time seller - seeking advice about renting or selling.

First time seller - seeking advice about renting or selling.

Flipper/Rehabber · OC, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Hi - I am in a situation and want to ask "what would you do.."?

I own a 2+2 Townhome in Orange County, CA. 

I owe - $289k.

I listed it for sale, and got a ton of interest, picked a buyer, and started escrow. $5k was put in as earnest deposit. Contingencies dropped, almost closed, and we just heard they are backing out due to breaking up their marriage and cannot afford it solo. I have a clause in the contract that they will forfeit their earnest deposit.

It was listed at 399k, and sold for 404k. I have backup buyers... 

This was my first time buying and first time selling. I bought it in 2007 right before the major decline and never thought I'd get out of here. 

The bank appraisal came in at $387k, conservative...

The plan was to sell high, and rent and wait the market out. Who knows what will happen. Maybe interest will go up and it will get even worse. The story here is that inventory is low, so prices are pushed up.

I'm very happy that we didn't get a rental or sign a lease, but we were very close!! Renting would have been much more expensive than our current situation, even with high HOA, but we just wanted to get out as we are scared the market might dip again.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise?

I really want to own more properties and rent, dip my toes into self managing (instead of hiring a PM) - I have the personality and temperament, and I know how to repair things.

Now that this has happened, I'm thinking - maybe we rent this place out instead (now that we REALLY know the rental market from doing a ton of viewings here in OC, wow it's high...) go rent somewhere else, and do either a refinance (would give us cash, but would raise our mortgage as interest won't be much or any better by about $300/mo not to mention closing costs) or a HELOC and use that money towards another rental and just start to build my portfolio?

I've never done a refi or heloc, so uncertain how much I should take out, and what I should do with it. Let's say I refi for 387k, do I then need to pay PMI since I won't have any equity in the home anymore? Or do they not allow 100% refi's?

I've been looking and can find smaller 2+1 or 2+2 condos for 260k or so here in OC and rent them for $1700-$2000 which would cover PITI, taxes and HOA. I'm apprehensive on buying far away for cheaper and using a PM company - or is that just dumb and should I go for it? Or should I just find another person here on BP in the same boat and go in with them? Apprehensive to rub pennies with a stranger at the moment...

Well - what would you do in this situation?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 75 votes
9y

Hello @Pete Davey

interested situation you have there. From the numbers, it looks like you won't have much left after you refi, maybe $15-20k? Not much for a down payment, or maybe for an FHA 3.5% down? Depending on the city where your condo is located, I would consider an AirBnB rental. Have you ran the numbers on that? I would bet that it will most likely cashflow. Not sure of any of your credit or income information but I would refinance that condo, use that along with that I have saved for a 3.5% down FHA on a duplex that I can rent out the other side either long term or airbnb as well. Good luck !

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Do not sell. Nobody can have 100% refinance. If you live there, maximum cash-out refinance is 80%. If you do not live there, maximum cash-out refinance is 75%. If I were you, stay in the place, get maximum of 80% cash-out refinance, then use it as a down payment to buy another rental property.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · OC, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I forgot one other thing - we have outgrown the place. We now have kids... this is why we want to rent it out and go rent a larger home (buying a larger home here in OC is cost prohibitive at the moment...)

    The risk is that we'll need to move out into a rental and then expect this "hot rental market" gets us a tenant really fast. 

    So - if I owe 289k and it appraises for 387k (I only know this because we just had it appraised for the sale), with closing costs and such, what sort of cash does that leave us with?

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    80% of 387k is 310k. 5k closing cost. 309k - 289k You owe the bank - 5k closing cost ===== 15k cash out Not much as a down payment to buy another rental. Currently, both real estate and rental market are very hot. Once I list the property for rent at a fair price, I always receive at least 20 to 40 calls easily. Usually, I'm able to find a qualified tenant within 5 days. Do not sell. Rent it out. Once you sell, it will cost you much higher price to buy it back again in the near future. We have a very low supply and very high demand now. The house price still have a very strong upward momentum. It is too early to sell it now.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · OC, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks! And what if I did a HELOC instead?

    I've been looking around, if I buy in let's say Long Beach, I can find a great 2+1 condo for $239k, but he wants 25% down which is $59k.. if I did that, then after all fees I'd still cash flow positive but then I'd have 59k tied up in it. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    Hello @Pete Davey

    interested situation you have there. From the numbers, it looks like you won't have much left after you refi, maybe $15-20k? Not much for a down payment, or maybe for an FHA 3.5% down? Depending on the city where your condo is located, I would consider an AirBnB rental. Have you ran the numbers on that? I would bet that it will most likely cashflow. Not sure of any of your credit or income information but I would refinance that condo, use that along with that I have saved for a 3.5% down FHA on a duplex that I can rent out the other side either long term or airbnb as well. Good luck !

  • Flipper/Rehabber · OC, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks Carlos. Thing is, we need to stay in OC for family obligations, so finding a duplex isn't super cheap... Then again, you're from OC so you would know better than I. Would be great to house hack somehow. 

    We would positive cash flow if we rented this place out, or air bnb, since we're kind of close to D-land (I'm guessing here...) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.