Long Island City, NY · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
Hello everyone,
I am relatively new to investing and looking to purchase first property. I live in the greater New York City area and found a condo that I am interested in that is in New Jersey, just a short drive away. Its an all cash deal. I have contacted several lenders about possibly taking out a home equity line, or doing a cash out refinance down the line, and what I found out is that most lenders are requiring that 50% of the condo building is owner occupied. The building I am currently looking into is 100% renters. Does anyone have any experience with doing a cash out refinance or taking out a HELOC on a condo? My strategy here is to use the BRRRR approach, refinance after a year, and use that cash for a new investmeent. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
@Dmitry Marutov Another strategy is to find an equity partner or a private lender (better terms than HML) and then in about a ear refinance with better terms.
Also it sounds like you're betting on appreciation, so need t ensure this area offers that.
Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
9y
@Dmitry Marutov What you are running into is a non-warrantable condo. Unlike what others have suggested, there is no "better rate" option down the road.
What you need is a mortgage banker that can do non-warrantable condo financing.