Agent won't do a small favor without more commission. is normal?

Agent won't do a small favor without more commission. is normal?

Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes

I am selling an out of area property. It's currently listed. Apparently the current tenant who is in the unit has not cared well for the property or their dog. The unit smells strong of dog urine. 

We have our first showing tomorrow. I asked the agent if he would stop by early and spray a little air freshener. 

He told me he wont do it unless I pay him more commission. "It's too much extra effort"

I feel like multiple failed showings due to urine smell would be more effort than spraying a little air freshener to make a quick sale. 

Is this normal? Was I out of line to ask for him to do this?

Thank you in advance.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeremy HartPro Member
Residential Real Estate Broker · Blacksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 155 posts · 67 votes
9y

I hate getting those requests as well, but it's my job to get the property sold - doesn't matter if it's an inconvenience to me or not. I likely knew about the smell and condition before I took the listing, and if I didn't, that's my fault. 

If I take the listing, I should go the extra mile when it's necessary. Otherwise, I should be - and would deserve to be - fired.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @David J. I guess it depends on the listing price and location. 

    I purchased a property that had severe cat urine issues. The seller covered it up by spraying air freshener and burning candles. I noticed the candles when we looked at the property, but it wasn't until after closing that we found the smell. We went after the seller for replacement carpet cost. 

    Why don't you get the tenant to fix the problem? Covering up problems isn't really cool.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Your agent sounds pathetically lazy. Your approach sounds like a losing approach. Fix the urine problem before you try to sell, or discount to take into account the work that buyers will have to do to mitigate. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes
    9y

    @Joe Splitrock We disclosed that there are pets and strong pet smell. Also I will replace carpet once Tenet finishes moving. 

    Not trying to trick anyone just trying to have a better impression. Like some people bake cookies.. I just want the strong smell of dog pee to be reduced. It's a better impression.

  • Investor · shawnee oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 194 posts · 148 votes
    9y

    Thanks guys. I have decided to allow the dog pee smell to stay strong as to be upfront with potential buyers. I don't want any buyer feeling misled. 

  • Jeremy HartPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Blacksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 155 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    I hate getting those requests as well, but it's my job to get the property sold - doesn't matter if it's an inconvenience to me or not. I likely knew about the smell and condition before I took the listing, and if I didn't, that's my fault. 

    If I take the listing, I should go the extra mile when it's necessary. Otherwise, I should be - and would deserve to be - fired.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.