Retired - Buying/Selling/Holding properties - tax implications

Retired - Buying/Selling/Holding properties - tax implications

Mid-Michigan area, MI · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote

My in-laws are retired, they have owned a "winter" home in AZ for a couple years, and a within the last year or so purchased a "summer" condo in MI after selling another home in MI to be closer to us and their grandchildren. Now we have an opportunity for them to buy a lake property next to ours. Question is: what is their best option from a tax standpoint as senior citizens? They reside in each current home for about half the year (summer/winter). The AZ home will not be sold. But the condo in MI could be. I don't think they want to hold onto 3 properties. They could rent the condo as an option. Both current homes are owned outright. They will probably take a loan/mortgage out on the 3rd (lake) home just to keep their investments ticking along. Does selling the condo now come with a big tax hit - as it has been held and lived in for less than 2 years? Does it make sense to hold the condo and rent it for a period of time to capture any tax benefits? I think their primary residence is considered the AZ house. Are there capital gains tax problems/options here based on their selling of the condo - profit or not? They didn't buy it as an investment but I'm fairly certain they can break even on it if not capture a return based on their upgrades after ownership.

Sidenote: this is my first forum post...I skipped the introduction post...sorry. I also haven't gotten around to choosing a profile pic...sorry again. I read blog posts and scan the forums daily if not weekly. So far I've enjoyed all the reading material.

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    9y

    @Jack W., Some depends on their attitude and intent in owning the condo.  If they've owned it purely as a 2nd home then there will be no getting around a tax event upon sale.  However, if there was any intent to hold for productive use in trade business or as an investment then there is a possibility that they could sell that and do a 1031 exchange into the lake front home.  

    The fact that they have spend personal time in that property does not automatically disqualify it.  I'd have them talk to their accountant to see if what they really own is not a 2nd home but an investment property that they stay in a bit.  

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.