• New York
Votes |
Turnkey Home inspection advice for a newbie

Tony Xu
  • Investor
  • New York
Posted Sep 19 2017, 11:48

Hello,

So I'm in the process of closing on my first turnkey property and just got my home inspection report back. It only listed 1 major issue but a lot of maintenance items, I am not sure what is expected/not expected since it is an older house, about 75 years. However, since it is turnkey, it did get recently rehabbed. So if someone could help me out and let me know if the things below are a major concern, that would be awesome!

Major

• Insufficient number of HVAC supply vents in family room. A room with 3 exterior walls should have at least 2 supply vents. Currently only 1 supply vent installed on South wall. Recommend hiring professional HVAC contractor to evaluate and correct to provide necessary heat to space during winter months. 

Maintenance

• Landscaping is flat and slopes toward foundation around home. This is a typical condition found in many homes. Recommend sloping grading away from home 1" per foot to avoid grading erosion, foundation seepage and possible foundation movement (85-90% of all foundation moisture problems can be avoided with proper grading and downspout extensions). None visible during time of inspection.
  • Open space where gas and AC lines enter siding. Recommend sealing to avoid possible moisture damage. 
  • Termite damage at floor joist on West side of basement. No previous treatment is visible and none is disclosed.
  •  Plumbing supply piping is made of galvanized steel. Over time this will become clogged and corroded. '
  • Rust and visible at circuit breakers. This is likely caused by corrosion. 
  • No roof vents installed.  
  • Missing smoke detectors in Hallway and basement
  • no CO detectors
  • Drip tube is missing at water heater
  •  Loose siding on South side of home. 

• Unpainted window sill on North side of home. 

• No window well cover.

• Downspouts missing elbows.

• No furnace filter installed. 

•  No cold water shutoff valve installed above water heater. 

Thank you!

Loading replies...