Six-Unit Complex with Over Decade of Delinquent Taxes

Six-Unit Complex with Over Decade of Delinquent Taxes

Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 6 votes

I found an abandoned six-unit apartment complex that looks like an ideal rehab -- especially considering Houston needs additional rentals now more than pre-Harvey.  The owner of the building hasn't paid taxes on the property since 2002.  The property is scheduled for public auction in near future.  Any suggestions on trying to obtain property before being offered for public sell?  

I've thought about contacting owner directly, but because I'm new to investing, I don't want to risk blowing the opportunity with an uninformed approach.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Any direction on how or where to find out if there may be other outstanding liens on the property would also be helpful to know, assuming there's a simple, cost-effective way to find out without having to perform title search. 

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I am surprised he still has title after not paying real estate taxes for a decade.  This deal sounds like it has a lot of issues.   I'd contact the owner.   I'd find out if the property is going to auction for back taxes.  And I would check the title.

  • Friendswood, TX · Member since 2015 · 119 posts · 75 votes
    9y
    Contacting the owner would be your best bet. If you're able to get in contact and figure out what their situation and needs are, you may be able to provide a solution. Let me know if I can help at all.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.