Rental Property Investor · Gig Harbor, WA · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 43 votes
Hello! My husband and I are out of state investors in the Kansas City, MO. area. We were just there and put in an offer on a duplex in the Waldo area. The offer was accepted, we're ordering inspections and engineers reports now.
My questions are:
1) Is there a certain inspection you highly suggest we get? I saw on a forum post I can't find now that the KC Sewer system or water system is old, and they would suggest anyone get that. Does that sound right? I can't remember which inspection report it was.
2) The current owner is having the foundation repaired. Our agent said KC, MO has clay in their soil and it's not uncommon to get foundation fixed. Does this sound right to you KC locals?
The engineer's reports say they are doing:
- Epoxy injections
- Sump Pump Repair
The engineer's report says moisture in soil causing the excessive lateral movement. No excessive damage now. THey say it will continue to require maintenance and there is no guarantee it will protect against water seeping. I'm not sure if this is normal? I can't attach the engineers report because it's a PDF.
Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 26 votes
8y
@Carly M. Structural Engineer here... epoxy injection is a crack repair (patchwork) and sump pump will reduce the water table around the perimeter of the house. If the property is experiencing lateral displacement from swell and shrinkage of clay, you will continue to have foundation issues in the future. Without seeing the extent of the foundation damage, it's difficult to say whether epoxy and sump pump will be enough...
Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
I think I know what duplex this is hahah....
Anyways, I used inspector nick and they were VERY thorough. I would def get the sewer lateral scoped in that area, it's not normally part of the inspection. I just replaced my clay lateral because it had an offset/rootball and you can come back with some pretty high quotes to counter your offer with depending on the video inspection.
Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 26 votes
8y
@Carly M. Structural Engineer here... epoxy injection is a crack repair (patchwork) and sump pump will reduce the water table around the perimeter of the house. If the property is experiencing lateral displacement from swell and shrinkage of clay, you will continue to have foundation issues in the future. Without seeing the extent of the foundation damage, it's difficult to say whether epoxy and sump pump will be enough...
Rental Property Investor · Gig Harbor, WA · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 43 votes
8y
@Victor Evans , thank you for the information! That sounds like what the report says. So as a structural engineer would you invest in a house with this kind of issues? I know it's a gamble on if it will be enough. I am concerned, as out of state AND first-time investors to move forward with this.
Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 26 votes
8y
@Carly M. , it really depends on the extent of the foundation damage. are they minor hairline cracks or multiple cracks with the obvious settlement. Without seeing photos, the age of the property, and knowing more about prevalent soil characteristics around the area, it's difficult to say. Do you have any photos? Does the property have a basement? the out of plane load on the basement wall due to lateral soil pressure will show more damage than it would on the slab.
Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 26 votes
8y
@Carly M. , i just saw a post from a structural engineer from KC... sounds like a pain to maintain if this is going to be a rental.
"Many houses in KC have foundation issues. The clays in this area are highly expansive, and most older houses didn't use proper backfill techniques behind the wall when the foundation was constructed. They typically are some sort of crack in the wall, which get repaired by installing a beam in the concrete slab up to the floor joists in order to minimize the wall span. You'll typically see some level of diagonal crack in the wall." ...
"The wall will continue to move if it isn't reinforced, but may take decades to actually cause a structural issue. Even once the wall is repaired, cracks are likely to get larger. Some differentail settlement is likely with any house on our crappy expansive clay soils, so be prepared to repair drywall cracks from time to time (especially after really dry summers)."
"There are a couple things I would watch out for. Make sure the wall isn't too far out of plane (i.e. bowed in the middle). Make sure any parts of the house that are on slab on grade aren't shifting relative to the main basement foundation (this can be hard to notice if drywall cracks are repaired). Also, make sure that the foundation doesn't leak unless it rains heavily, as being below the water table can be a nightmare to fix."
"NEVER FINISH A BASEMENT THAT HAS FOUNDATION ISSUES! My basement leaks every time it rains. No biggy, its unfinished so I just keep everything up off the ground and the slab is sloped so water runs into the floor drains. I've tried patching the cracks, but water always gets through. The house has been standing for 60 years, I'm sure it will last the next 5 years that I live there..."
1. Always pay to have the main sewer line scoped. $200 well spent.
2. Foundation wise - call a structural engineer. $450 for a site inspection and then another fee for a report. However, they will shoot you straight and any foundation repair company has to follow that report. Well worth the cost.