New LA County Dev 21,000 homes only took 2 decades to approve

New LA County Dev 21,000 homes only took 2 decades to approve

Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Every home must have car chargers in garage is amoungst many other set asides. Even the Chumash native Americans had to sign off on it. 

21k homes is that the largest single new residential build in nation? 

That's a $13 billion investment. This also includes 13 million sqft of new commercial.  

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-newhall-r...

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I believe that development is in Newhall.    21K homes is very welcome to an area that has a shortage of inventory.  That is like building a new smaller city.  It continues to stretch the sprawl of Los Angeles.

    What the LA area needs is to act like a city, not a suburb.  Major cities across the globe have density housing.  Los Angeles is addicted to their single family houses, which means you're in the car more, commuting.  

    The central basin of Los Angeles should have mutlifamily buldings everywhere.  It is starting to happen more.  

    I used to live in the Los Angeles area.  I wouldn't want to live in Newhall.  But I like where you are from, Sherman Oaks.   That is a perfect community, near the 405, so you can zip into west L.A.  But you'll probably be stuck in a traffic jam half the time.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Didn’t vegas had a 40k home build in anthem/henderson, nv? it might have split around 4-5 phases but I believe it was 1 developer. Under 1 contract/phase, it probably is one of the biggest.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ploszay:

    I believe that development is in Newhall.    21K homes is very welcome to an area that has a shortage of inventory.  That is like building a new smaller city.  It continues to stretch the sprawl of Los Angeles.

    What the LA area needs is to act like a city, not a suburb.  Major cities across the globe have density housing.  Los Angeles is addicted to their single family houses, which means you're in the car more, commuting.  

    The central basin of Los Angeles should have mutlifamily buldings everywhere.  It is starting to happen more.  

    I used to live in the Los Angeles area.  I wouldn't want to live in Newhall.  But I like where you are from, Sherman Oaks.   That is a perfect community, near the 405, so you can zip into west L.A.  But you'll probably be stuck in a traffic jam half the time.

     Yeah most the zoning is hodge podge based on residents voices at anytime. Originally Sherman Oaks and Ventura Blvd was to look more like Wilshire Blvd with high rises up and down the blvd. They built a few in Sherman Oaks and then the residents freaked out and put the brakes on what was originally a good plan. Leaving just a handful of high rises at Sepulveda and Ventura. There is talk about updating that plan but these residents know how to put the kybosh on most plans. Oh well that's LA for ya.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.