California RE License for direct mail marketing/cold calling?

California RE License for direct mail marketing/cold calling?

United States · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 28 votes
For those of you doing direct mail marketing, or cold calling from lists in California - Do you have a CA Real Estate License? If so, why? And do you find it beneficial? If not, please give me some input as to why it isn't necessary. Thanks in advance! Taylor
1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 69 votes
8y

Hey Taylor,

I'm both an investor & an agent, and I found that being an agent gives people more comfort knowing you're an agent rather than an investor. Many people associate investors with scammers trying to get every dollar out of you (which is not true in many cases)!

Being an agent, you're supposed to owe your clients a fiduciary duty to care for them and be truthful...investors on the other hand do not owe anyone a fiduciary duty. 

You can always find your way regardless of being an agent or not...you just have to stay resilient & smart. 

Happy Holidays!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Hey Taylor,

    I'm both an investor & an agent, and I found that being an agent gives people more comfort knowing you're an agent rather than an investor. Many people associate investors with scammers trying to get every dollar out of you (which is not true in many cases)!

    Being an agent, you're supposed to owe your clients a fiduciary duty to care for them and be truthful...investors on the other hand do not owe anyone a fiduciary duty. 

    You can always find your way regardless of being an agent or not...you just have to stay resilient & smart. 

    Happy Holidays!

  • United States · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    Etienne Martel Thanks for the reply! I guess I didn't really consider the comfort an owner may receive from dealing with an agent. However, I feel like some owners aren't pro agent either. Sounds like there's some give or take. Which, is I was taking a look at your bio. Are you doing any direct mail marketing, or cold calling in California? If so, how's the response rate?
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed,

    Yes, some home-owners may have had bad experiences with agents, but if you stay extremely nice and respond quick you can change their perception of agents. Then you will also have a new client!

    Some people will straight up not like you, but that will come with any kind of business! So brush it off and keep your eyes on the prize. 

    Currently, I am focused on out-of-state investments and doing direct mail campaigns in my primary areas. I have tried direct mail in CA, but I didn't not have a big response rate. I did admittedly, only send one round of mail. (should have sent one every month)

    Let's connect and talk further!

  • United States · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    Etienne Martel Thanks for all the input! You make some valid points about the benefits of having a license. I would definitely like to connect and speak further! I'll be in touch. Thanks, -Taylor
  • United States · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    Etienne Martel see comment above! I'm not sure why, but my tags don't always stick while using the mobile app. -Taylor
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I am a licensed agent in CA.  Many people don't like dealing with "agents or brokers" thinking they're shady, ditto with "investors". Are you looking for properties for yourself? If so, why not present yourself as a "buyer"? Many people like being able to deal direct with buyers. If I'm calling on a property for myself, I present myself as a buyer, but ALWAYS disclose that in addition to being a buyer, I am a licensed agent/general contractor too. Sometimes it actually helps give people a feeling that you know what you're talking about. I'm very easy going and casual when I call people, it puts them at ease. 

  • United States · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    Karen Margrave thanks for the feedback and suggestion! Presenting yourself as a "buyer" is a great idea. I'm sure that's received far better on an initial cold call. Obviously disclosing that you're an agent is a must, but definitely not the way I'd want to start a conversation on a cold call. Thanks again for the input, -Taylor
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.