California RE License for direct mail marketing/cold calling?

7 Replies

For those of you doing direct mail marketing, or cold calling from lists in California - Do you have a CA Real Estate License? If so, why? And do you find it beneficial? If not, please give me some input as to why it isn't necessary. Thanks in advance! Taylor

Hey Taylor,

I'm both an investor & an agent, and I found that being an agent gives people more comfort knowing you're an agent rather than an investor. Many people associate investors with scammers trying to get every dollar out of you (which is not true in many cases)!

Being an agent, you're supposed to owe your clients a fiduciary duty to care for them and be truthful...investors on the other hand do not owe anyone a fiduciary duty. 

You can always find your way regardless of being an agent or not...you just have to stay resilient & smart. 

Happy Holidays!

@Etienne Martel Thanks for the reply! I guess I didn't really consider the comfort an owner may receive from dealing with an agent. However, I feel like some owners aren't pro agent either. Sounds like there's some give or take. Which, is

I was taking a look at your bio. Are you doing any direct mail marketing, or cold calling in California? If so, how's the response rate?

@Taylor Corder ,

Yes, some home-owners may have had bad experiences with agents, but if you stay extremely nice and respond quick you can change their perception of agents. Then you will also have a new client!

Some people will straight up not like you, but that will come with any kind of business! So brush it off and keep your eyes on the prize. 

Currently, I am focused on out-of-state investments and doing direct mail campaigns in my primary areas. I have tried direct mail in CA, but I didn't not have a big response rate. I did admittedly, only send one round of mail. (should have sent one every month)

Let's connect and talk further!

@Etienne Martel Thanks for all the input! You make some valid points about the benefits of having a license.

I would definitely like to connect and speak further! I'll be in touch.

Thanks,
-Taylor

@Etienne Martel see comment above! I'm not sure why, but my tags don't always stick while using the mobile app.

-Taylor

@Taylor Corder I am a licensed agent in CA.  Many people don't like dealing with "agents or brokers" thinking they're shady, ditto with "investors". Are you looking for properties for yourself? If so, why not present yourself as a "buyer"? Many people like being able to deal direct with buyers. If I'm calling on a property for myself, I present myself as a buyer, but ALWAYS disclose that in addition to being a buyer, I am a licensed agent/general contractor too. Sometimes it actually helps give people a feeling that you know what you're talking about. I'm very easy going and casual when I call people, it puts them at ease. 

@Karen Margrave thanks for the feedback and suggestion! Presenting yourself as a "buyer" is a great idea. I'm sure that's received far better on an initial cold call. Obviously disclosing that you're an agent is a must, but definitely not the way I'd want to start a conversation on a cold call.

Thanks again for the input,

-Taylor

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here