Turnkey properties in Kansas city, Provider or Agent

7 Replies

Just curious, Who has rental properties in kansas city and do you prefer using a turnkey provider or agent to purchase from and finding a property management company. Please share any provider you recommend, Whats the pros and cons from experienced landlords, Agents or Turnkey providers? and Why??

Time is money, if you don't have the time you go the TK route. They're generic deals that look best on paper and you're likely pay a premium for it, but it'll still cashflow. "Everything" is taken care of for you typically expect funding and in theory you'd have little upkeep on a fresh remodel.

Now, if you have the time you can learn the area.... and hunt the deals. If you get a good agent and have a decent understanding of an area you can fine tune your searches and really hone in on a "good" deal. This might mean better quality property, better tenants, better schools, or maybe just cheaper price. If you go agent route you're going to need a team in place or at least people you trust to get referrals. All this happens on the fly and houses that are good deals there's lot of competition so you have to be ready to execute. Ideally you'd have a PM already in place otherwise you need to find one once you get the house and they all have different requirements to manage your property.

If you do your due diligence you cut down the risk of getting a bad house and poor performing investment.... you shouldn't assume anyone but yourself is going to do it for you. Trust, but verify.

This post has been removed.

@Ron Quinn , check out the podcast episode 257 (last week's) if you have not already. Mid-episode, they discuss turnkey providers. @Matt K. hit the nail on the head: if time is your major issue but you have lots of $$$, turnkey might make sense. But if you have the time to do everything yourself, it can be a lot more lucrative (albeit more work) because you aren't giving the turnkey provider a cut of the margin to do everything for you.

I haven't listened to podcast yet. I will in next couple of days. But I don't think just time and money should be taken into account when deciding whether to go TK route or not.  There is another angle to it and that's "distance".  I work full time. 45-50 hrs (when taken into account times I have to work extra due to demands at work). I have free time since I am not married (whew !!!) or have kids.  Also I live in the DC Metro area.  There are no cash flow properties out here. Much better yields are found in Midwest.  I am sure people in SoCal, NY, NJ or any other big city can relate.   

Now, I do have some time to go and meet TK providers and look at the properties myself, but I don't have the kind of time to put together a team of realtors, contractors, property managers, lenders, title companies about a 1000 miles from where I live.  Might as well quit my job and move there, if that's what I want to do.  Now if this were in my backyard, I could probably do it. 

Originally posted by @Chinmay J. :

I haven't listened to podcast yet. I will in next couple of days. But I don't think just time and money should be taken into account when deciding whether to go TK route or not.  There is another angle to it and that's "distance".  I work full time. 45-50 hrs (when taken into account times I have to work extra due to demands at work). I have free time since I am not married (whew !!!) or have kids.  Also I live in the DC Metro area.  There are no cash flow properties out here. Much better yields are found in Midwest.  I am sure people in SoCal, NY, NJ or any other big city can relate.   

Now, I do have some time to go and meet TK providers and look at the properties myself, but I don't have the kind of time to put together a team of realtors, contractors, property managers, lenders, title companies about a 1000 miles from where I live.  Might as well quit my job and move there, if that's what I want to do.  Now if this were in my backyard, I could probably do it. 

You can get referrals for that team, much the same way you get a referral for the TK company. I found that when I was doing my due diligence it took up the same time as if I was to source my own deal. I also had a different idea of what I wanted in a property vs what a TK provides. 

For what it's worth, I did a 1031, put together a deal, and found a PM while doing grad school and working full time. Then had a kid and took a break, then got a real team together and just closed on a duplex. The most time consuming part was searching for the deal.... the rest was a breeze. I could of just let the realtors find me a deal, but I was already looking on MLS.... Oh and this deal didn't require any rehab....

Referrals are a fantastic thing.... and saved me in the beginning when I was just starting out in a OOS market.

Turn-key providers you are always going to pay top dollar. If you want to make more money, the key is in finding a strong team, starting with your contractor and ending with your property management. And at the end of the day, there are no guarantees with turn-key providers either.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.