Real estate agencies or private sells - most success?

2 Replies

Do you have more success using real estate agencies or by private sells? Which do you prefer? 

As a realtor in NY, i would say yes, you have your best success work because in many cases they can net you more.  And in this time of lower inventory you want to get the most out of your sale.   the guy who created for sale by owner dot com tried selling his penthouse on his own with no avail.  he hired a realtor and that realtor sold his penthouse for 200k more then he was selling it on his own.  which takes you to full service broker or discount broker.  I love the discount brokers because they charge a nominal fee to put properties on mls and allow you to choose what you pay the buying broker for bringing the buyer.  I love them because they never sell homes, but leave the sellers contact info in the listing. Trevor, do you have time to market your property, do open houses, and waste time weeding through serious buyers from the tire kickers?  a full service broker will do that plus much more and they have access to more web sites, and can reach more places. For instance, i am with Coldwell Banker in Somers ny.  but when  I list a property it goes to over 900 web sites world wide, unless it its deemed a luxury property then a few more.  There are too many reasons to list why to list with a realtor, but since i am one i recommend using one in your market area.

Definitely a Realtor. People's first stop when looking to buy are realtors sites and agencies. First stop for buyers.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.