staten island , NY · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
Hello,
My name is Jonna. I am a from Staten Island New York. I am currently looking to start my journey in real estate investing. Since the housing market in New York City, is un affordable, I came across Scranton Pa. as a great affordable, close to home place to start my investing career in. I was looking to buy and flip, and also buy and rent out properties to build a portfolio with rent producing properties with great cash flow( as i am sure many are looking to do the same). I am looking for advice or pointers in the right direction for the area of Scranton, Pennsylvania, thoughts, pros,cons etc.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
6y
@Thomas C Veatch
I know what you mean about trying to hire a contractor. If it's any consolation, mostly all behave that way. I've had issues finding one for my vacation unit. It seems very laid back. Good luck. Try getting a Google phone number with a Pennsylvania area code. Its free.
I just bought a single family to flip in west Scranton i think they call it the hills lol i got it for 25k needs about 35k in rehab ARV 100k might be able to get more if i decide to spend a little more on finishes project shouldn't take no more than 30 days and hopefully i don't have any issues pulling permits. Does any body know any good contractors in the area?? i have one good contractor but i will need another contractor for a duplex (rental income) I'm in contract for 75k one unit has tenants paying 750 and another unit is empty ( I can charge 875) needs bathroom and kitchen to be updated.
Investor · Clifton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 10 votes
5y
Hello everyone,
I am also an investor from NJ, and based on some opportunities, gauging if I want to get involve in Scranton or not. Getting involved in my case would mean buying and holding, and more buying... So, eventually grow in that area.
This thread is three years old, but would love to keep it alive and hear back your experiences...
Rental Property Investor · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 21 votes
4y
Hey @Umer M. Chaudhry I keep hearing great things about Scranton. I have been actually looking at some deals there and some seem to pass the 1% rule. Good luck let me know if you have any questions.
Hello. I’m also looking to acquire a property in Scranton. In the Greenridge section. Can someone explain what these stipulations are because I live in NYC. i can’t own a rental property there without hiring a property manager ? What other stipulations have you heard ? The property is already rehabbed. But I mean I’ve done some research on the area. I’ve not heard of the property manager stipulations or any other. Can someone elaborate. This would be for a long term hold and rent. Property is already rehabbed. Thanks
Rental Property Investor · Upper Darby, PA · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes
4y
@Kevin Sobilo thank you for your advice about the Scranton area in the comments above. I was wondering if you are still active in the area? Also would you be able to elaborate further about areas around Scranton itself that would be worthwhile to investigate for doing BRRRR?
Long Island NY · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 0 votes
4y
Hello all. New to the game and am staring to look at the Scranton area. @Cristian Vargas, did you ever find a good contractor you can trust and recommend? I am looking at some of the properties, which will need some updates.
I am also reading this thread, and am very interested to hear from people who were on here a few years ago, how are they doing...