More Signs of the Bubble?

1 Reply

I saw this article in the WSJ this morning. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-a-house-worth-w...

The article might be behind a paywall, but the main point is that big investment groups like Blackstone are buying properties based on "drive-by" rather than appraisal. Some of these "drive-bys" aren't even physical drive-bys. Some companies in India will give a "broker price opinion" based on Google Earth and some real estate websites for $10 a property.

I'm all for investors eyeballing a market that they know. After all, we know that two official appraisals can come back very different. However, it seems like outsourcing that opinion of value to someone on the other side of the world seems risky.

Anyone seen the effects of this in their market? I don't have any hard evidence, but it seems like this kind of behavior has driven up prices here in the Houston area.

Originally posted by @Collin Garbarino :

I saw this article in the WSJ this morning. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-a-house-worth-w...

The article might be behind a paywall, but the main point is that big investment groups like Blackstone are buying properties based on "drive-by" rather than appraisal. Some of these "drive-bys" aren't even physical drive-bys. Some companies in India will give a "broker price opinion" based on Google Earth and some real estate websites for $10 a property.

I'm all for investors eyeballing a market that they know. After all, we know that two official appraisals can come back very different. However, it seems like outsourcing that opinion of value to someone on the other side of the world seems risky.

Anyone seen the effects of this in their market? I don't have any hard evidence, but it seems like this kind of behavior has driven up prices here in the Houston area.

I saw the article and laughed. If they are willing to take that kind of risk, more power to them. I will be there when the market dictates they sell at a substantial loss.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.