Adjustable rate mortgages on investment property

Adjustable rate mortgages on investment property

Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 13 votes
Dear bp family, I want to know how you all feel about ARMs on cash-flowing rental properties. Im looking to possibly do an investment loan on a four family or duplex. The credit union and bank lenders (milwaukee,wi) that i have approached have all offered ARM loans amortized over 20-30 years with 25% down at 4-6 percent on no occupied multi family properties. I personally like 20-30 year fixed products ARMs somewhat “scare” me ! Even though the property will be a cash flowing multifamily. I appreciate ALL of you feedback. Feel free to connect with me !
0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn AckermanPro Member
Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Nolan Gray there are lenders who provide fixed 30 year notes on rental property.  I'd suggest looking for a national conventional lender.  Sometime you have to look outside of your back yard my friend.  All the best.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 412 posts · 296 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nolan Gray:
    Dear bp family,

    I want to know how you all feel about ARMs on cash-flowing rental properties. Im looking to possibly do an investment loan on a four family or duplex. The credit union and bank lenders (milwaukee,wi) that i have approached have all offered ARM loans amortized over 20-30 years with 25% down at 4-6 percent on no occupied multi family properties.

    I personally like 20-30 year fixed products

    ARMs somewhat “scare” me ! Even though the property will be a cash flowing multifamily.

    I appreciate ALL of you feedback. Feel free to connect with me !

     Fixed only. If it doesn't work with fixed you will lose it later on an adjustable. Fixed only.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Mike S. I appreciate the feedback. Fixed only is definitely my “Gut” feeling... Having a credit score under 680 i have been offered ARMs many times. I do know fellow investors that have used them and they don’t look at them negatively even though they are paying more.
  • Lansdale, PA · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    once you start doing more deals, and commercial financing, ARMs will be the main option. 

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    I am interested in this as well, I will be getting a property soon and was looking into this option before.
  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Nolan Gray there are lenders who provide fixed 30 year notes on rental property.  I'd suggest looking for a national conventional lender.  Sometime you have to look outside of your back yard my friend.  All the best.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Thanks Shawn Ackerman your help is always appreciated !
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 242 posts · 182 votes
    8y
    In my experience you can only get fixed rate if you buy in your name, property is 4 units or less, and you don’t own too many. If you buy as an LLC you’re looking at an ARM. The limit on number of rentals varies from 4-10. I think these are Fannie/Freddie rules. ARM’s are fixed for 5 years and based on 20, 25, or 30 year amortization.
  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    ARMs are definitely dangerous. One of the riskiest and fastest ways to lose that cash flow....quickly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.