Questions on first time rental in NW Houston

Questions on first time rental in NW Houston

Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 2 votes
appreciate feedback... best flooring for rental in Houston? durability and cost two biggest factors as this will be long term buy and hold including refrigerator and washer dryer? does Houston have an industry standard on this? best siding material for long term buy hold SFR in Houston? again, looking at durability and cost thanks!
0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
8y

Vinyl plank has become my preferred choice of flooring.  You can get hand-scraped wood texture that really looks like wood....but durable and cleans up will. Cheaper than tile with little headache.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    It’s 3/2/2. What cost are you talking about here?
  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    I’d go with tile for flooring. It’s not uncommon for rental properties here. Best thing to do is look at the comp rentals in the neighborhood to see what they have. standard w/d units from a nearby Sears should suffice. 

  • Property Manager · Allen, TX · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 160 votes
    8y

    I have carpet in my rentals in Cypress and Katy, but this is mostly due to the fact that they had carpet when I purchased them. I have been fortunate to not have to replace carpets so far. If I was doing a renovation I would seriously consider tile. I would stay away from wood flooring because the chance of the tenant damaging them is the same as with carpet, but the replacement cost is much higher.

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    8y

    Vinyl plank has become my preferred choice of flooring.  You can get hand-scraped wood texture that really looks like wood....but durable and cleans up will. Cheaper than tile with little headache.

  • Jodi GauthierBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    Looks nice @Tony Castronovo! What type are you using? Does it have a the attached underlay?

  • Jerry TaBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 256 posts · 121 votes
    8y

    Vinyl plank flooring is the way to go in all rentals at this point and more specifically the glue down type rather than the peel and stick. 

    All my investors that previously used tile in their rentals, they do not look so great anymore with either outdated tile or dirty grout. 

    One thing I do different is we use flat paint in most of the house other than kitchen and bathrooms. No you cannot clean flat paint, but what difference does it make when there are nail holes all over it, it just touches up better. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    8y

    @Jodi Gauthier Thank you.  We use the glue down type.  No underlay.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    8y

    I have been hearing about vinyl plank,

    Got a 'secret source' where you buy it locally? 

  • Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 579 posts · 301 votes
    8y

    @JerryTa, any reason why the glue down over the new click lock?  I used the new click lock and I'm in love with it.  Goes together so much easier than laminate, softer underfoot than tile and wipes clean.  

    My only secret source is Home Depot sales, negotiating with the Pro Desk and then our cash back rebate on top of that.  Veterans also get an 11% discount at Home Depot so hire a Vet for your team!

  • Jerry TaBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 256 posts · 121 votes
    8y
    Specifically for water purposes, if your house floods, the vinyl itself is a water proof material, but water can get trapped under the vinyl itself. If you use a pressure sensitive adhesive for the vinyl, if your house floods, the glue can get loose, but you can glue it back. 

    Originally posted by @Belinda Lopez:

    @JerryTa, any reason why the glue down over the new click lock?  I used the new click lock and I'm in love with it.  Goes together so much easier than laminate, softer underfoot than tile and wipes clean.  

    My only secret source is Home Depot sales, negotiating with the Pro Desk and then our cash back rebate on top of that.  Veterans also get an 11% discount at Home Depot so hire a Vet for your team!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.