Hold Property In Personal Name or Corporation?

1 Reply

Hi, I just bought my first rental property, I am looking to acquire more single and or multi family rentals as soon as possible. I am wondering if I should hold these rentals in a corporation/LLC or in my personal name? My main concern is liability/being sued, i've been lead to believe incorporating will reduce my personal liability.

Thanks,

Ben 

Insurance is and will be your first line of defence regardless of whether it is in a LLC or not. LLCs can and will be pierced by smart lawyers.

Your future investment plans will be easier (financing) and less expensive if you do not use a LLC.

Consensus is that adiquite insurance is sufficient protection but LLC provides additional physiological protection for about 50% of investors.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here