Duplex vs Fourplex same cash flow (which is better)

Duplex vs Fourplex same cash flow (which is better)

Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 64 votes

Assuming all things are equal (CoC return, etc.) is there any advantage in have four units vs two if the cash flow is the same? I like to consider time spent as so in this scenario I would spend less time on two units that four....any insight? Thanks in advanced, BP!

0Reply
231 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MurdockPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

All things being equal I'd lean towards the 4-unit. A vacancy there is only a 25% loss of rent. A vacancy in your duplex is a 50% loss.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Questions for those who have invested in 4-plex as well as duplexes. 

    1. Is the tenant turnover higher for 4-plex as compared to duplex?

    2. Is it right to assume that 4-pex will require more landlord time investment. In duplex, you let the tenant manage and pay their utilities (water, electric, gas, trash etc.), but in case of 4-plex, I guess some part of it (water, trash management falls into the landlord bucket (assuming that each unit has its own electric meter that they get connection and pay directly).

    3. What other advantages and disadvantages do you have one over other, as far as managing the 4-plex vs. duplex. I am exploring 4-plex where 2 units are on each 1st and 2nd floor.  

    4. Have 4 tenants living side-to-side, do you encounter more tenant-tenant issues to handle?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.