Wholesaling Deals For Buy & Hold Situation?

Wholesaling Deals For Buy & Hold Situation?

Fairfield, CA · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 16 votes

Hey BP Family!

Question when an investor/buyer wants buy and hold properties, NOT properties to flip, am i still treating it the same as when i wholesale a buy and flip deal? Meaning, ARV * 70%, calculating repairs, etc. Or how would i go about finding those type deals. Because we all know, lots of the mls listings, the owners want as close to asking price as possible.

Please enlighten me if possible. 

Thanks!

1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

Hi @Kevin Powell. A buy-and-hold investor (i.e. a landlord) looks at deals very differently than a fix-and-flipper. For flippers, the MAO Formula (70% * ARV minus Repairs) is the standard. In contrast, most landlords I know focus on the rate-of-return produced by the property: I'm personally a big fan of cash-on-cash return (COCR), which is just "total cash received" divided by "total cash invested" for the first year.

So, when I look at any potential wholesale (cash) buy-and-hold deal, I first estimate what my landlord/buyer will receive in annual net income (rents minus expenses, which include management fees, property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and vacancy loss). Then I calculate the cash the landlord/buyer will need to obtain and repair the property: purchase price, closing costs, my wholesale fee, repairs. When I divide "cash in" by "cash out" I'm looking for a COCR of at least 10%. That's the least most landlords in my market would accept.

If I can't offer my landlord/buyer at least 10% COCR, then I've either got to reduce my purchase price to the seller or lower my wholesale fee. Otherwise, I don't have a viable buy-and-hold deal.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Kevin Powell. A buy-and-hold investor (i.e. a landlord) looks at deals very differently than a fix-and-flipper. For flippers, the MAO Formula (70% * ARV minus Repairs) is the standard. In contrast, most landlords I know focus on the rate-of-return produced by the property: I'm personally a big fan of cash-on-cash return (COCR), which is just "total cash received" divided by "total cash invested" for the first year.

    So, when I look at any potential wholesale (cash) buy-and-hold deal, I first estimate what my landlord/buyer will receive in annual net income (rents minus expenses, which include management fees, property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and vacancy loss). Then I calculate the cash the landlord/buyer will need to obtain and repair the property: purchase price, closing costs, my wholesale fee, repairs. When I divide "cash in" by "cash out" I'm looking for a COCR of at least 10%. That's the least most landlords in my market would accept.

    If I can't offer my landlord/buyer at least 10% COCR, then I've either got to reduce my purchase price to the seller or lower my wholesale fee. Otherwise, I don't have a viable buy-and-hold deal.

  • Fairfield, CA · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Mitch Messer wow this was very helpful man i thank you a lot. I have a buyer who wants buy and holds/rentals. This helps me quite a bit. @Michael Kirkwood take a look

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Kevin Powell,  just to tag on the great advice you got from @Mitch Messer above- buy your buyer lunch and get specific. Ask him exactly what his buying criteria is, understand why, and go shopping for it. I'd do this for every buyer I work with, regardless of what they do with the property. Good luck!

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    It has to be worth that too. Lots of bad areas have homes on the mls much cheaper than 10% cash on cash. So a house you may value at 80 could be bought off the mls for 45k. (I don’t buy less than 15%) so double checks actually value.
  • Fairfield, CA · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Josh C. Thank you Josh this is all helpful. I'll dig deeper pause

  • Rental Property Investor · Folsom, CA · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    As a buy-and-hold, I'll do the math to calculate cash-on-cash return, and that's a primary factor. But, 10% CoC buying something in good condition off MLS is not the same as 10% CoC buying a dump wholesale and fixing it up myself. For one, there's going to be the cost of an extended vacancy and/or making it vacant to get the work done. This is hard to factor into a CoC return because it can be so variable. 

    Also, as a buyer, I'll expect to have some return for the risk and effort I take on by doing the rehab. I'm not going to jump on a property selling at a $25k discount when it needs $25k of work. Basically, when buying a fix-and-hold, I'll expect it to look like a flip and a rental in one. I might accept less profit than a flip would typically create, but will want some financial motivation to do that rehab.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.