Purchasing multi family home for cash. Is it risky?

4 Replies

Hello everyone, I am seeking my first investment property and I came across a listing that looks like it could have good returns, however am weary this could be a money trap. Does it raise a red flag when a seller wants a cash deal on a house? The house is listed for 39k and it’s a 3bed by 3 bed duplex. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

@Matt Kistner It should raise a red flag when it’s $39K :) But, seriously, odds are it will be incredibly difficult to get a mortgage on a $39K property. Most banks have mortgage minimums so it basically reduced the buyer-pool to cash-buyer-investors. Have you talked to a bank about giving you a loan on a $39K property? If you haven’t...make a few calls...

If you’ve found a duplex for 39k I’d say your rehab would be fairly substantial.  I would set up for a contractor to do a scope of work with you or at least have an inspector walk the property.  Usually a bank won’t lend on that low of a purchase unless you can do a commercial loan or line of credit.  If you have to buy with cash I’d make sure you have the funding for a rehab as well.  I feel I live in a moderate area and to find a true duplex like you stated vs a converted the asking prices are usually 150k-200k which would bring in 1000-1200/ month rents per side.  Hopefully this helps and best of luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.