Is there a Visa for Canadians investing in US?

Is there a Visa for Canadians investing in US?

Toledo, OH · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 2 votes

Hi Everyone, One more Canadian Investor interested in investing in USA :-) 

I have gone through some profiles of Canadians and I see that they are living in US. So wondering whether there is a Visa for Canadians investing in US. If yes please let me know more about it.

I am asking this question as I am interested in buying and managing a Multi-Family or Apartment or commercial building in North Carolina ( Charlotte or Raleigh).

Thanks/Regards,

Ram

0Reply
41 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ram B.:

    Hi Everyone, One more Canadian Investor interested in investing in USA :-) 

    I have gone through some profiles of Canadians and I see that they are living in US. So wondering whether there is a Visa for Canadians investing in US. If yes please let me know more about it.

    I am asking this question as I am interested in buying and managing a Multi-Family or Apartment or commercial building in North Carolina ( Charlotte or Raleigh).

    Thanks/Regards,

    Ram

     Many Canadians visit my area in the winter and own properties here. It is a golf and resort town outside of Phoenix. No, I have not heard of the need for a Canadian needing a visa to visit here, very unlikely for a Canadian citizen. Perhaps a Green Card if you are going to stay for a long time or stay indefinitely. What you do have to check into are the limits for staying so that you don't lose your Canadian Health Insurance. I think you have to travel back to Canada every so often to keep the benefits. 

    Also, as a Canadian don't use an LLC to purchase your property . Canadian tax laws double tax on LLCs. A Canadian can own property in the U.S. without a visa or a green card.

  • Toledo, OH · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks Mike for your reply!!

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ram B.:

    Hi Everyone, One more Canadian Investor interested in investing in USA :-) 

    I have gone through some profiles of Canadians and I see that they are living in US. So wondering whether there is a Visa for Canadians investing in US. If yes please let me know more about it.

    I am asking this question as I am interested in buying and managing a Multi-Family or Apartment or commercial building in North Carolina ( Charlotte or Raleigh).

    Thanks/Regards,

    Ram

     Hi Ram, yes there is a Visa, it's called an E2 Visa which I have but it's not required to buy/invest in the US.  You only need it if you plan on staying in the US >6 months.  Or if you plan on managing your assets yourself.  You will get hassled at customs if you  are travelling frequently, as they deem this as doing business and may require you to get one.  

  • Toledo, OH · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks Chad! I am planning to buy and maintain my property myself...

  • New to Real Estate · Vancouver, BC · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Is there another ownership option besides LLC and personal? I read on another thread that LLLP might be good. I looking at how I can enter the US REI and am considering partnering with a local investor. Thank you.

  • Investor · Ontario, Canada · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 23 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carter Wong:

    @Account Closed Is there another ownership option besides LLC and personal? I read on another thread that LLLP might be good. I looking at how I can enter the US REI and am considering partnering with a local investor. Thank you.

    You'll want to hold the property in LPs which offer flow throw tax advantages. 
  • Investor · Ontario, Canada · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 23 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Ram B.:

    Hi Everyone, One more Canadian Investor interested in investing in USA :-) 

    I have gone through some profiles of Canadians and I see that they are living in US. So wondering whether there is a Visa for Canadians investing in US. If yes please let me know more about it.

    I am asking this question as I am interested in buying and managing a Multi-Family or Apartment or commercial building in North Carolina ( Charlotte or Raleigh).

    Thanks/Regards,

    Ram

     Many Canadians visit my area in the winter and own properties here. It is a golf and resort town outside of Phoenix. No, I have not heard of the need for a Canadian needing a visa to visit here, very unlikely for a Canadian citizen. Perhaps a Green Card if you are going to stay for a long time or stay indefinitely. What you do have to check into are the limits for staying so that you don't lose your Canadian Health Insurance. I think you have to travel back to Canada every so often to keep the benefits. 

    Also, as a Canadian don't use an LLC to purchase your property . Canadian tax laws double tax on LLCs. A Canadian can own property in the U.S. without a visa or a green card.

    Canadians can travel freely between both countries visa exempt. I have a visa and although there are advantages to having my visa for lending and travel, it also allows me the ability to live in the US without restrictions that a Canadian would have without one. 

  • Real Estate Coach · OH MI, FL · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    Hi Ram, we have invested in the US for almost a decade with no Visa.

  • Lauren CohenPro Member
    Attorney · Boca Raton, FL & Toronto · Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    You don't NED a visa to invest in the U.S., but it does make things much easier AND give you access too a wide range of benefits, not the least of which is obtaining your SSN and being able to build U.S. credit and access financing. Our signature program is called HOW TO IMMIGRATE THROUGH REAL ESTATE and we specialize in working with Cdn investors seeking visas connected to their U.S. real estate investing activities!

  • New to Real Estate · Bc · Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Janie G.:

    Hi Ram, we have invested in the US for almost a decade with no Visa.


     What areas did you invest in?    I currently bought in another province and got cash flow but still 20% down is a large number. And going to eat up the rest of the savings pretty quickly buying in that area again. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.