Loans for houses with no central air/heat

Loans for houses with no central air/heat

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 4 votes
Hello, I’m looking into buying a property that’s older and doesn’t have central air or heat for rental. My realtor informed me you can’t get a conventional loan on properties without central installed already. Does anyone know if this is true or have any experience buying properties without central installed already? I’m located in Texas and the property im looking at already has renters in it as well.
0Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y

That is not true. FHA/Va/FNMA require a heat source but a/c is not required. That can be as simple as baseboard heating. Central air/heat has never been a requirement

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Mateo, CA · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    AFAIK, the lender doesn't look at those details. For lender, the appraisal matters the most along with your credit history and loan amount, etc. Talk with a Bank lender as they would guide you.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    That is not true. FHA/Va/FNMA require a heat source but a/c is not required. That can be as simple as baseboard heating. Central air/heat has never been a requirement

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Okay, that’s kind of what I was thinking I had read somewhere. That sounded like too restrictive of requirements to me. Might have been a lack of communication but I’ll speak with my lender and get it sorted out. Thanks all!
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    8y

    I've heard that before but I've always chalked it up to an urban myth. I've never seen anything official about it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.