Controlling Your Appraisals

Controlling Your Appraisals

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes

Vikram and others brought up an interesting topic in another thread, and because it was buried pretty deep in there, I wanted to break it out into a new thread. The discussion was about how you go about getting your rehabbed properties to appraise once you get them under .

Obviously, you'd like your property's value to stand on its own without any help from you, but in this market, anything extra you can do to ensure your property hits its target appraisal price is important.

I'm going to present some of my ideas (they've worked for me and others I know) and then open up this thread to others who have had success in getting their properties to appraise in this market...which can often be very difficult...

I've found that by:

- Providing Information
- Building Rapport
- Building Trust

You can go a long way towards getting appraisers to err on the side of trying to help your appraisals come in at your target price.

From a Providing Information standpoint, remember that appraisers have a tough job these days. They need to make a lot of people (on different sides of the table) happy. Helping them do their job effectively and efficiently will make their lives easier (especially when the underwriter comes back and asks for more details to substantiate the number), and in return, make your life easier. And given new HVCC rules, you may be more familiar with comps in a given area then they are, so you may actually have better comps than the appraiser!

From a Building Rapport standpoint, if someone knows you and likes you, they are going to want to help you. Ask the appraiser about his family, ask about his business, ask
him questions that allow him to feel like you appreciate his "help", and (if it's true) insinuate that you may want to use his services in the future. We don't like to let our friends down, so the goal is to get the appraiser to feel as if you're a friend in the short time you're together

From a Building Trust standpoint, many appraisers (and others) are leery of rehabbers these days because a few of them give the rest of us a bad name (shoddy work, lie
about repairs, etc). Oftentimes, when appraisers walk into a rehabbed property, they assume that the value is LOWER than an equivalent house that isn't being flipped. By proving to the appraiser that you're in the group of rehabbers who take pride in their work and do things the right way, you'll get the him to appreciate your work and efforts and to trust that your house is probably MORE valuable than an equivalent house that isn't being flipped.

With that background, here are my concrete suggestions on how to work with appraisers:

1. Always ensure that you know when the appraiser is coming to your property. We make sure that our properties are on an agent lockbox and are alarmed. We then tell the lender/broker that the appraiser needs to call us to get access to the property. Nine out of 10 times we'll get a call the day before the appraisal, but occasionally the appraiser will call while standing outside the house when he sees the "Alarm" sign on the door; when that happens, we tell him how to disable the alarm, but now that we know he's at the property, we can rush right over or send our project manager over to meet him.

2. Always make sure you are present when the appraiser is doing his walk-through. This is your opportunity to build rapport, provide information about what work you did, brag about the fact that you pulled all required permits and only used licensed contractors, and to generally take credit for the great rehab your team has done.

3. At the end of the walk-through, you have an opportunity to provide information to the appraiser that he can take back to the office and review. This is the information that will help him do his appraisal and help him justify the number he comes up with in case anyone asks. Here are the things I provide (nicely organized in a folder):

- Renovation Overview (see example attachment to this post)

- Rehab Cost Breakdown (see example attachment to this post)

- Before/After Pictures (see example attachment to this post)

- Comps (I print out comps from the MLS that support my sale price and add them to the folder)

Of course, while most appraisers are happy to have you around during the inspection and happy to take the information you have, don't just assume this. I will always ask upfront, "Do you mind if I stick around during your walk-through" and then before I hand them the folder, I will always say, "I certainly don't want to do your job for you, but I have some documents here that will give you more information about the rehab I did, the money I spent, and some of the comps I know about in the neighborhood...would you like them?"

I've never had an appraiser who seemed bothered by the fact that stuck around during the walk-through (most of them are talkers and like the company) and never had an appraiser who didn't want my extra information (again, most of them were very appreciative of anything I had).

So, what are some of your tricks for working with appraisers and appraisals?

19Reply
419 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y

Age and wisdom are two separate things. There are many old people who are not very successful, and many of them have a high regard for themselves because they think their age makes them more experienced / wise. That is why it is harder to convince an old person to change his ways than a younger person, regardless of how much he needs the convincing.

With respect to appraisals, anybody who thinks that data is data and there's not much one can do with it knows neither appraisals not statistics. It is fairly common for appraisals of the same property to come in at very different numbers from different appraisers.

In any event, I do not wish to engage in an endless debate with people who have more time on their hands than I. Readers are free to decide which way they wish to do things based on the different opinions on this thread and the quality of the source.

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    New investors should probably have their Realtor earn their commissions and take care of this aspect of selling until they have sufficient expertise.

    Agreed, except I've never met a realtor who cares half as much about my properties as I do. Consider that for every dollar under contract price that an appraisal comes in low, I lose 97 cents and my realtor only loses 3 cents, and it's clear that our interests aren't aligned enough to incentivize a realtor to make any effort for an appraisal.

    Unfortunately.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Yes, agreed Jason, but let's not imply that since the newbie investor has a greater interest in the deal that he needs to jump into this issue as that certainly would not be prudent. It is an great incentive for investors to learn the process as much as they can, since most every deal they do will have this risk. Until they become knowlegable, they need to rely on those representing them and if not represented sufficiently, get someone who will go to battle for them.

  • Investor · Holly, MI · Member since 2009 · 95 posts · 23 votes
    15y

    Great information just at the right time as I have an appraisal scheduled for Friday. Here is my plan:
    Before and after photos emailed prior to meeting
    Rehab list of items completed emailed prior to meeting
    Be there to meet him and walk him through the property (property has a tenant)
    Engage and be social
    I will follow up with my results.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Aaron, we don't disagree at all, perhaps you mistook my point. I was only referencing how current market conditions are different (on the downside) than the previous 2 years, I was not trying to say that I would want to price my property at the low end for an appraisers sake, but price it so that the VUYERS will bite quickly. Once I have a contracted and agreed upon purchase price, then I look to find the best comps to support the contract value with teh appraiser.
  • katy, TX · Member since 2011 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    I wanted to clarify one issue that has been beaten upon and misrepresented.

    Any Subject propety info you have should be provided to the Appraiser as soon as the Appraiser contacts you. Part of the research the Appraiser performs in his office before the inspection is to search for, analyze and select Comp Candidates. This reseach is based on the Subject information available to the Appraiser. The Appraiser also uses this information to plan his route and schedule. This includes performing the Comp inspections on the same trip as the Subject inspection. All Appraisers follow this business model. There may be minor variations but it is the std business model for all Appraisers.

    Withholding significant Subject information til the inspection may invalidate the Appraiser's research, including the Comp selection. If you withhold significant Subject information til the inspection, then this may require the Appraiser's research to be redone, including new Comp analysis, selection, inspection and another trip.

    If your information is not significant, then it does not matter since it will not affect the appraisal outcome. This may explain why the late submittals identified in this thread have not been raised as an issue by the Appraiser, i.e. the submitted info is insignificant and has little or no impact on the Appraisal.

    There are many other issues in this thread, but they've already been addressed (several times in most cases).

    Some posters on this thread claim to be be knowledgeable about the Appraisal process, yet their posts indicate they do not understand the Appraisal process or how an Appraisal business is run. Sorry guys, but you are doing a huge disservice to the readers with your misinformation.

    When reading this thread, there are two different views:

    - Someone who is not an Appraiser and claims they are knowledgeable about the Appraisal process.

    vs

    - Someone who is an Appraiser and performs this job daily.

    The reader should make their own decision on who they want to believe.

    cheers.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Real Estate:
    I wanted to clarify one issue that has been beaten upon and misrepresented.

    Any Subject propety info you have should be provided to the Appraiser as soon as the Appraiser contacts you.

    Seriously? You came back here to say the exact same thing you've said in every post you've made on this forum in your history of being here...and you resurrected this thread for the sole purpose of saying it again?

    Okay, I'll bite...

    I completely agree that it would make the appraiser's job easier if -- the first time I ever talk to him on the phone -- I ask for his email address so that I can email him all the information I have. But, if you haven't figured it out by now, my goal (and my job as a real estate investor) is not to do whatever is going to make the appraiser's job easiest.

    If the title of this post were, "How to make the appraiser's job easy," then I would have reiterated your advice in my original post. But, again, it's not.

    My goal (my job) is to do whatever it takes (within the rule of law and ethics) to get my property to appraise at as high a value as possible. And giving all my information to the appraiser before I meet him doesn't necessarily accomplish that goal.

    Of course, when the appraiser ASKS ME during that first phone if I have information, I provide all of it. But, if he doesn't ask, he'll get it when I meet with him face-to-face.


    The reader should make their own decision on who they want to believe.

    Agreed. They can choose to believe you (a random appraiser who we've never heard from before this thread) or they can choose to believe all the experienced investors here who have achieved successful appraisals on literally hundreds of deals using the methodologies outlined in this thread.

    It's completely up the readers to decide which side is more compelling...

  • Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
    15y

    Jason, why do you NOT want to give the appraiser the information when you first speak with him? It seems like that would make the appraiser feel better about dealing with you, which is one of the goals, right? What do you gain by holding back the info until later?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Mike G.:
    Jason, why do you NOT want to give the appraiser the information when you first speak with him? It seems like that would make the appraiser feel better about dealing with you, which is one of the goals, right? What do you gain by holding back the info until later?

    I have no problem giving the information upfront, but it's MORE effective giving it to him face-to-face.

    This is because -- when I provide the information up-front -- I'm just a seller doing what a seller is generally expected to do. Psychologically, this wins me no points, adds no special significance to the data I'm providing and doesn't provide any context for the property-related information I'm giving.

    But -- by providing the information face-to-face -- I'm doing more than "just what I'm expected to do." I'm providing context for the data; I'm solving actual problems that the appraiser is facing at the moment he's facing them; I'm making the data I'm providing not just a bunch of sheets of paper, but a significant part of the process.

    For example, when the appraiser starts asking, "So, are these cabinets brand new?" or "What work did you do on this basement?" instead of forcing him to take in all the information and write it down, I can say, "Oh, I have a complete list of the renovation details right here...would that make it easier for you?"

    And, when he says, "How much did you spend on the rehab? We're often asked to estimate this information these days..." I can dig around my folder and say, "Well, here's a complete line-item breakdown of the costs if that will help..."

    The goal is to build a rapport (or even a relationship) in the brief time I spend with the guy, and being able to help solve a couple problems (regardless of how small) goes a long way towards doing that.

    There are a number of other psychological reasons why I choose to give the information in person if possible, but I'm not sure I could do a very good job of explaining the why some things work better than others -- they just do...

    That said, the most important thing is keeping the appraiser happy, so if he asks for information upfront (or anytime) he gets it then.

  • Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
    15y

    That makes sense - thanks for the response!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Ok, I will bite again too. Apparently, there are at least 20 appraisers here in CA within the last year who also do not understand how the appraisal process works. I say that because in meeting those 20 or so appraisers over the last 12 months, I have provided my comps, my rehab cost sheet, my condition of comps reprot (with photos), and several other items to the appraiser on the day of appraisal and each and every time I asked the appraiser how his comps looked vs. my contracted purchase price, EVERYTIME they ALL answered, "I don't know, I have not analized them yet". I guess I and all these appraisers just claim to know things we really don't know. My appologies to BP Nation.
  • katy, TX · Member since 2011 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    15y


    The Appraiser's "I don't know . . . " answer is correct. Most (if not all) appraisal assignments include a confidentiality agreement between the Appraiser and Client. The Appraiser cannot discuss the subject property valuation with anyone other than the Client. The "I don't know . . ." answer is a polite way to say this is confidential information.

    This is basic appraisal info and further illustrates that you are not familiar with the appraisal process or how to run an appraisal business.

    If the title of this post were, "How to make the appraiser's job easy," then I would have reiterated your advice in my original post. But, again, it's not.

    My goal (my job) is to do whatever it takes (within the rule of law and ethics) to get my property to appraise at as high a value as possible. And giving all my information to the appraiser before I meet him doesn't necessarily accomplish that goal.


    So, your action is to withhold info the Appraiser needs to perform the property valuation and which will supposedly increase the value of your property? You may want to review your reasoning. The Appraiser's valuation is based on the info available to the Appraiser. The Appraiser needs this info when he begins his research.

    Including the property's improvements and improvement cost in an appraisal is std practice. During the inspection, the Appraiser will check each item on the improvement list and document the results in the report. The Appraiser needs this info up front when he begins his research and it is in the property owner's best interest to provide it at that time.

    I have no problem giving the information upfront, but it's MORE effective giving it to him face-to-face.

    This is because -- when I provide the information up-front -- I'm just a seller doing what a seller is generally expected to do. Psychologically, this wins me no points, adds no special significance to the data I'm providing and doesn't provide any context for the property-related information I'm giving.

    But -- by providing the information face-to-face -- I'm doing more than "just what I'm expected to do." I'm providing context for the data; I'm solving actual problems that the appraiser is facing at the moment he's facing them; I'm making the data I'm providing not just a bunch of sheets of paper, but a significant part of the process.


    After the inspection, do you sprinkle fairy dust on your unicorn, pull out your light saber, hop on your flying broom, save middle earth and celebrate in narnia?

    There are so many issues with your fantasy. You need a reality check. For example, "I'm solving actual problems that the appraiser is facing at the moment he's facing them" is complete bs. You are withholding info required by the Appraiser which supposedly increases your property value, extending the inspection time and wasting the Appraiser's time.



    I highly suggest you read my first post and follow it. Professional, competent and responsive behavior will outperform gimmicks.

    cheers.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Appr:

    There are so many issues with your fantasy. You need a reality check.

    Given that I'm well over 95% successful at getting my appraisals to come in at or above my contract price (even in cases where I'm fairly certain the values aren't supported), clearly my reality is well checked...

    That said, I can certainly understand why my providing this information to other investors would make you so angry and frustrated and I can understand why you feel the need to lash out at me...I'm sorry you feel that way and hope you can learn to cope with it...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    I NEVER once claimed to know how to run an appraisal business nor would I want to. All I have stated, as have a few others with experience, is that we have been successful in getting our appraisals to come in at or above value which is the goal of each flipper. If this is a cause of some discomfort for you, deal with it.
    Similar to Jason's experience, my last 20+ appraisals have ALL come in at or above value so I must be doing something right.
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Is this still going on????

    Looks like investors are justifying how to take credit for an appraisal being at or above the contract price.

    The best thing the investor did to accomplish that was to price the property correctly in the first place. If you are really good at it, you should be hitting 100%, but no one can win them all!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:

    Looks like investors are justifying how to take credit for an appraisal being at or above the contract price.

    Who knows, Bill...maybe you're right...maybe the HVCC appraisers who look at my houses know my market much better than I do...

    In fact, if it makes the appraisers (and you) less upset to believe that's the case, I'm certainly okay with that... :wink:

  • katy, TX · Member since 2011 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    I am neither angry or frustrated. On the contrary, I am quite entertained by many of the posts. Some of the posts have been hilarious. I also enjoy the poster's contradictory claims, waffling and changing the rules depending on which side of the fence they are on. You've done more than I could ever do to support my claims. I pass my congratulations on to you.

    I'm also waiting for you to post that when you don't like the Appraiser's Comp selection and value, you will wave your hand to the Appraiser, say "These ARE NOT the Comps you want to use", give the Appraiser your Comps, wave your hand, say "These ARE the Comps you want to use", grab your light saber and fly back to your Death Star. There are no limitations in your fantasy world when you are the center of the universe and control all other beings thru your superior negotiation skills. Keep up the good work and entertainment.

    For the readers that would like to follow your policies, then I am more than happy to comply with them. As identified earlier, the delays and extra time required by your policies will be reflected in the increased fee $. The more they follow your policies, the more $$$$$ in the fee increase. I'll be happy to comply with their requests and receive the higher fee. I need to warn you that it may be cheaper to higher a therapist than pay the additional fees.

    This was submitted by the same person who posted the following:

    As I said earlier, you have done more to support my claims than I ever could.

    We also have a quote from another poster:

    The same poster also posted this a little earlier in the thread:

    You've done more to support my claims than I ever could.

    As I posted earlier, there should not be any surprises in an appraisal. As an investor, developer and owner, I require and get 100% compliance with my opinion of value for my properties. If the appraised value of my property is different then my opinion of value and the difference is to my detriment, then I've challenged the appraisal and won all of them. The difference between my approach and other approaches recommended in this thread is my approach is based on appraisal principles and sound business practices, not gimmicks like some people are recommending.

    It's clear that many people involved in this thread do not understand the appraisal process and appraisal business. As such, they do not know how to effectively deal with appraisals.

    As I posted earlier, my contribution to this thread was a public service due to the misinformation posted in this thread. While this has been entertaining and enjoyable, I have better things to do then continue to point out misinformation and inconsistencies on this thread. This will be my last post on this thread.

    Cheers.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Appr:

    I'm also waiting for you to post that when you don't like the Appraiser's Comp selection and value...

    Clearly you missed it, but the ENTIRE POINT of this thread is how to keep that from happening... :D

    Btw, on the rare occasion that the appraisal does come in low, it's generally still at the high end of the potential value range (often higher than it probably should be), so I just drop the price of the sale to the appraised value and am happy that I still got the highest valuation possible...

    I also find it interesting how many times you mention increasing your fee for "extra work"; I've never ever had an appraiser increase his fee before (I normally pay for my buyer's appraisals so I would know), so I find it interesting that you seem look for an opportunity to do so. If you can't do your job given the standard fee, let me suggest that perhaps you should just raise your standard fee?

    Just a thought...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Just a thought...
    Here is another thought Jason . . . everytime you cash a check after your efforts of getting your appriasal to come in at value, laugh all the way to the bank and thank the stars your appraiser was not this guy.
    He is right and we are wrong. So I will be wrong and keep cashing my checks to the tune of $40k+ while he keeps trying to figure out how he can get another hundred bucks out of a client. I wish him good luck.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    I don't want anyone to ever think that I ignore all contrary evidence, so here's an update on my most recent appraisal...

    It came in 5% low (it was a full price offer, which I believe was above market)! Despite the fact that I did everything I suggested in this post, despite the fact that the appraiser has done several appraisals on our properties in the past (all came in at or above sale price) and despite the fact that this was a NACA loan, which generally means easier appraisals (they used to lend up to 110% of the appraised value), it still came in low...

    That said, all evidence indicates that the appraised value came in higher than it would have had I not taken any action. The biggest indicator of this is that about 4 months ago, we sold the house next door, and it appraised for 5% less than what this appraisal came in at. So, either the appraiser came in at the top of the range on this one, or market values have increased 5% in my area in the past 4 months (and that's certainly not the case!).

    So, it's fair to say that NOT ALL of my appraisals come in at sale price... :D

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    I just completed a potential appraisal nightmare with one of my flips. It was a short sale acquisition and my buyer is FHA. My buyer also has very little cash and had not so good credit. The buyer's agent had to get very creative to get them this home of mine. They used a credit repair service, added a father onto the loan and increased my ask price so that they could get over $7k back in seller concessions. I was worried that the appraisal would not come in at value. I personally would comp the property and valuate it at $325k-$329k best case. The contract price was $339k less the concessions.

    The other difficulty for this deal was that the purchase price was well under 1/2 the exit price as the rehab was extreme, therefore, the lenders all had their red flags waiving high on this deal.

    I met the appraiser and provided (on the day of appraisal, not before) the following information: Comps I pulled with photos and descriptions of each, list of repairs with costs and invoices to back it up on my rehab, and letter of explanation of the acquisition price vs. the contract price.

    I also had a nice conversation with this appraiser over the phone the following day explaining my sympathy for how hard they have to work and how the HVCC rules have really screwed them.

    Wouldn't you know it, the appraisal came in at contract price which, in my opinion, was very generous.

    Then, just before closing and after the buyer had already signed loan docs, the lender comes back with "we need a second appraisal. I won't get into how frustrated I was regarding the last minute notice, etc. So on comes the second appraiser, a guy this time, and again, on the day of, not before, he is given all the same info. I then send him an email explaining how the lender did this second appraisal order at the last minute and the poor buyer was packed up and ready to move.
    Miraculously, in this appraisal environment, the second appraisal comes in at value!

    I must be doing everything so wrong to get two appraisals on the same property to come in at a value that is most generous and more accurately priced well at the top of the market.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    I know this thread is old, but (in my opinion) this is still a very important topic to most real estate investors. While there has been a LOT of disagreement among the posters here -- some investors, some appraisers, some both -- I'm happy to say that I finally have a worthwhile data point to provide to support my initial claims in this thread.

    While this still isn't scientific, the following is some great empirical evidence of just how subjective appraisals can be. And also how much influence a seller can have over an appraisal.

    My next door neighbor (a good friend of mine) has been trying to refinance his house for the past several months. About 10 weeks ago, he was in the midst of the refi and had an appraisal on his house. At the time, my wife and I were out of town, so we told my neighbor not to be at the house, leave the key under the mat, and let the appraiser do what he needs to do.

    This first appraisal came in at $393,000...here's a copy of the relevant page:

    Appraisal #1

    The value was too low for my neighbor to refi, so he went back to the drawing board. He found a new lender, and started the process over (he was ready to give up, but I was fairly certain he could get the refi done). This time, I was there to meet the appraiser.

    This second appraisal came in at $505,000...here's a copy of the relevant page:

    Appraisal #2

    These appraisals are 10 weeks apart and the value difference is over $110,000 (22%)! I can promise that values in my neighborhood didn't increase anything more than trivially during this time period (they probably didn't increase at all), and the second one is a realistic upper bound for what I would expect the value of my neighbor's property to be.

    You'll notice some big differences (aside from the fact that they used different comps). The number of rooms is different, the above and below grade square footage is different, the adjustment values are different (even for the same items), etc.

    For those who don't believe that appraisals are highly subjective (and therefore believe they can't be ethically influenced), perhaps you can explain what happened here...

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 48 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @J Scott Hi J Scott, fantastic discussion here. I know it's a bit old, but I didn't want to start a duplicate thread.

    Would you mind asking a really basic question about appraisals? Do the lenders and appraisers take into account that a buyer bought it as a foreclosure and the selling bank had discounted it for a quick sale? I.e., do they accept that some of the low purchase price was due to the foreclosure rather than strictly because of the repairs and upgrades it required? Thanks for any advice you can give :-)

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    12y

    Kirsten,

    When selling a home, I have not noticed appraisers paying any attention to the condition of sale. We had a major issue selling a house a couple years ago for this very reason. The appraiser used ALL REO and short sale comps for our gorgeous remodeled sale. This is a large part of the reason we meet with them. We can give them a list of regular sale comps, and/or explain the deficiencies in the short sale and REO comps. The appraisal does allow for a "condition" value adjustment, so we try to utilize that.

    Short sale appraisers (from what I've been told) are now only allowed to compare against regular sales. This means that when you're buying a short sale, they are valuing it against your competitors sales. Without meeting the appraiser and discussing the condition of your property and all of the comps it is absolutely impossible to get a good deal on a short sale any more.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 48 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Marc Freislinger Wow, that is really odd. Thanks for the answer!

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    11y

    How to Win Friends and Influence People has been in print since the 30's (maybe).   Be interested in and nice to people and they want to help you.  A sociopath is immune, but most people are not.  

    I like to point out to my potential tenants that I added insulation or replaced a FPE electric panel to show that I don't just slap lipstick on my properties to make a quick buck....I would think the same would be true of appraisers.  Flippers who show they make safety and energy effiecent changes as well as install beautiful granite, etc...and seem like nice, decent people...would probably give an appraiser the confidence to appraise on the high end of a range.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.