Non/MLS - Off Market Property Purchase (Philadelphia)

Non/MLS - Off Market Property Purchase (Philadelphia)

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 17 votes

BP Community:

There's a property that I have had my eye on for quite some time. Prior to the property going into foreclosure, I reached out to the owner's family (of whom I was a neighbor) and inquired about making a deal. Long story short, I was given the run around and eventually the home was foreclosed on. Over a year has gone by, and now the property is basically a shell after the squatters have had their way with it (e.g. Copper pipes taken, etc.). I recently reached out to the firm that was listed on the docket and surprising received a response back. I expressed my interest, but I am now being asked to create a purchase agreement for my offer.

I'm still a newbie and have two properties currently under my belt. Both were purchased via the MLS. Since this is uncharted territory for me, I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. This is a question that I can direct to the firm, but figured I reach out here first. Are they asking that I create an "official" purchase agreement or are they simply asking that I provide them with my numbers/bid? Is this a common practice for the buyer to generate a purchase agreement when bidding on a property?

I look forward to your feedback. Let me know if additional details are needed.

0Reply
23 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 344 posts · 276 votes
    8y

    @Kenneth C., I don't believe we can provide you with clear direction without knowing exactly what the conversation between you and the "firm" was.  If they asked you to put together a purchase agreement or offer to purchase, why would you think they are asking for your numbers/bid?  Is the firm a bank or an auction management company or some other type of entity?

    Consider reaching out to a real estate transaction agent to help you with this offer.  If you need a referral I can provide one.  Simply inbox me.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    Hi @Paulette Midgette. At the moment , I don't have a lot of additional information. The firm is a law firm that concentrates their practice on foreclosure, REO closings, evictions, etc. I proposed those same questions to the attorney at the firm, and they confirmed and asked that I submit a purchase sale agreement and they will pass it on to the bank.

    I will consider reaching out to a real estate transaction agent as you suggested, and I may take you up on the referral. I do have one additional question. Would it be too soon to engage an agent? Should I wait to see if the agreement of sale is accepted first?

  • Rental Property Investor · Tel Aviv, Israel · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 57 votes
    8y

    @Kenneth C.

    simply make an offer to them - I would draft a Letter of Intent, attach my proof of funds to show I am serious, make a photo of a check of yours - payable to "ESCROW" - for the EMD (deposit) amount.

    I would send these documents all in one email - and start the negotiation with the firm

    feel free to PM for help in the process. I AM NOT A REAL ESTATE AGENT. but in your case all you need is the right advice and get the conversation with the firm rolling in the right direction.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 344 posts · 276 votes
    8y

    Hello @Kenneth C.,  I my opinion it is never too early to network and expand your contact list.  But your question of when to bring in a transaction agent is a good one.  Administratively, you won't need the agent until you have an agreement of sale.  With respect to advice/guidance (based on the agent's experience).  It might be beneficial to have the agent on board prior to the sale as a second opinion when working through the process.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.