What's your opinion on this contract for deed deal?

What's your opinion on this contract for deed deal?

Rental Property Investor · Greenwood, MO · Member since 2009 · 152 posts · 17 votes

I've been speaking with an owner here in the KC, Mo area regarding a SFR he's interested in selling. He's not behind on payments and he doesn't like the risk of a subject-to purchase. He is willing to do a contract for deed with the balance due in 3 years. My payments would just be enough to cover his mortgage pmt.
He's ok with having payments disbursed through a 3rd party so I can be assured that mortgage payments are made.
He just put a tenant in on a 12 mo. lease.
After all expenses, including management and maintenance, cashflow is slightly negative. If I take on management and maintenance myself, I can get a positive cash flow.
Normally I would say there's not much profit here, if any. However, here's what's appealing to me and what my exit strategy would be:
This is a nothing down deal - I have no investment at risk except my time.
Option 1. I'll approach the current tenant and see if they want to have an option to purchase the property. If so, they will be responsible for maintenance.

Option 2. At end of 12 month lease I will offer for rent on a lease Option with an 18 month term.

Option 3. If Option is not exercised before 3 years, I will take out a loan for the remaining balance or assign the contract to another investor

Current balance on loan is 54,000. Comparable homes currently look to be in the 60-65K range. If I Leas/Option I'll ask 70-75K.

Is there anything I'm missing or does this look like a good nothing down deal?

As I see it. worst case scenario is I'm not able to secure financing in 3 years and he takes the property back. In the meantime, Rent should be able to be increased $50-100 after the first 12 months, providing an increased cash flow.

He has other houses he would like to sell, as he wants to focus more on his commercial properties. Even if this is borderline I believe it may help open the door for some of these other properties that could be purchased more profitably.

So, would you take it or leave it?

Thanks,
Mark

0Reply
25 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Burke, VA · Member since 2008 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    15y

    Mark,
    Sounds like a viable plan.. and it could benefit you in this business relationship yet make sure you can make some monies on this deal.
    Make sure you limit your liability in your contract.
    The issue with a CFD is verifying the lender is getting paid as you mentioned and if you have a 3rd party loan servicing company doing that you should be OK.

    I would focus on trying to leverage a higher cash flow to make it more profitable for all parties in the deal.

    You need a tenant with a buyers mentality that can put more down front end monies, cash flow and hopefully gain appreciation on the back end when the buyer purchases or refinances.

    I will give you one example of how in a land trust we can leverage a higher payment. Find a tenant who can put good monies down and make a higher then normal lease payment for him to take an active tax write-off if the seller allows that this is all done under IRC 163 h 4(d) as a beneficiary in the trust..
    We also use a triple net lease NNN so the tenant takes care of the property so no work needed on your part but you have to find the right tenant .. this is just an example of one possible deal..

    Another reason I invest with LT's is to protect the title and all investors in the deal from litigation or problems.

    I like the fact you have viable exit strategies very important in investing to have options..

    I would much rather be a principal and be involved in the property if I did all the work since you could lose it if he decides to go with somebody else since in a trust you can NOT be circumvented in the transaction you would vote to the trustee so the seller has control and anonymity and believe it or not a degree of asset protection especially if he holds his beneficial interest as an LLC or C corporation ( no legal advice intended)

    You can email me if you like to discuss but it looks overall ok I can not tell on the financing on the rent/lease amounts for the area or any other hidden expenses. There really is not enough information to determine is this is a deal or not..??

    Is title policy current are there an liens on the property you are unaware of .. title check..etc.. so do your due diligence since you wish to make sure you do things as right as you can with full disclosure..

    Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.