Need 90-100% LTV for incredible cash flowing Maui triplex

Need 90-100% LTV for incredible cash flowing Maui triplex

Greg GaudetPro Member
Investor · Pukalani, HI · Member since 2017 · 413 posts · 291 votes

Dear fellow BP'ers, please help!

Here's my situation:

I have a good job and a six figure w-2 income, as well as an 800 credit score. I have 20k in liquid cash funds and probably about double if I sold my investments. I have no debt other than the mortgage on my one condo, but the income it produces far surpass the monthly expenses. 

There is a property on the market here on the island of Maui, list price is about $1 Million, my target purchase price is 900k, but I think I can get it for less than that because the comps are in the 800s. The reason for the high list price is that the rental income this house produces justifies the higher price; this property has been turned into a triplex - upstairs 3/2, downstairs 3/2, and an attached 3/1 cottage (all beautifully renovated in the last year). Total operating income is $8,600 per month so even if I borrowed the full 900k it would still produce an outstanding cash flow (for the Maui market - which also has a huge added incentive of having a very high chance of appreciating). While I'm certainly hoping to buy for the cash flow, not for the appreciation, this home is a couple blocks from the beach, as well as one of the hottest towns in Maui - a town that has no room for further development, but has people moving here every single day. So while I'm buying for cash flow, I'd say the likelihood for appreciation over the course of ownership is pretty darn good! 

Anyway properties like this are very rare on Maui... because it's such a hot market, it is very hard to find cash flowing properties. The main reason this one is so great is also one of the obstacles - it's non-conforming. So I cannot get a mortgage based on the cash flow, because the lot is not legally big enough to count as more than 1 unit to the bank. My lender thinks he can get me approved for a mortgage to buy it as a SFH, but even if I could - I don't have $180K for the down payment.

The only idea I have is to make a list of every rich person I know and take each one to lunch to pitch and hope that one would be willing to lend me 900k at going interest rates, collateralized by the property. I can say that if anyone is good for the money, it's me! I've never missed a payment or been late in my entire life! And my goal would actually be to pay off the loan in less than 10 years (or just refinance it with the bank in a couple years). If I can make this happen it will be a major step toward realizing my dream of retiring from my day job by 2027 to work for myself full time, investing in real estate. 

Maybe I'm crazy... maybe I'm dreaming too big... but does anyone have any ideas of how I can get 90-100% funding for a deal like this?

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 36 votes
8y

Nothing to add other than I love Maui and I hope you find a way to close this deal.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    NOI is 8600? Is that including bank note? What's the note 6000-6500? Then your note on the downpayment loan 1400? 8600-6500-1400=700
  • Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Guess it's more like 5k and 1k
  • Greg GaudetPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Pukalani, HI · Member since 2017 · 413 posts · 291 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chad C.:

    NOI is 8600? Is that including bank note? What's the note 6000-6500?
    Then your note on the downpayment loan 1400?

    8600-6500-1400=700

    On 900k? I ran it at 5% interest; 900k over 30 years at 5% is $4,831. So 8600-4831=3769

    But either way, even if I got higher interest or shorter terms; the cash flow today would just go toward paying the loan off. Once the loan is paid off it's 8600 minus taxes, insurance, maintenance, and reserves and the rest is the profit. The goal for me is to use the rental income to pay off the debt so I own the property free and clear and pocket the positive cash flow.

  • Realtor · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Nothing to add other than I love Maui and I hope you find a way to close this deal.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    $900K in equity with a opportunity value of 10% is worth $7497/month. At todays rental income of $8600/month the property itself would only be producing $1103/month and have to cover all expenses. You would have negative cash flow and your great investment income property would be a major liability.

    Nothing wrong with hoarding excess cash when you are filthy rich but in your situation this would be a serious mistake. This plan is not investing and you would be better off mortgaged to the hilt and investing your $900K in a income fund with real returns. Equity is where money goes to die.

  • Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
    8y
    Aloha, I think I know the property you’re talking about. If so, it has WAY too many red flags and you’d literally have to tear it down and start over to get it conforming. My wife’s grandpa lives next door and has been there for 50+ years. If this is the same house, stay away! It didn’t even reach the minimum needs at auction a few months ago. There are still plenty of deals on Maui. Run your numbers and you’ll find legal and cash flowing properties. Good luck!
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    A couple thoughts in general.  Converted single-fams to plexes have a lot of inherent risks and problems.  The city could come in anytime and tell you that you need fire blocking between units per code.  Fun, fun.  Was electrical separately metered?  Who gets the garage?  Other parking? Drama potential and high owner-paid power bills.

    Flips/recent reno's scare me.  Corners are cut.  Most get to 13-mile (in marathon speak) exhaustion/frustration and start painting over mold or putting too much on an electrical circuit.   Do whatever just to get done.  Risky to buy someone's hack job.  

    My $.02 there.  Will let others comment on the 'deal analysis'.

  • Makawao, HI · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    So you have 3 possible units for $8600/mo...now that works out to about $2850-ish /mo for rent...? Will that include utils? I live on Maui...and have seen the prices...which can be quite substantial for rent...but wondering what the occupancy rate will be at those prices...?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.