Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 0 votes
I'm looking for a property manager in the Kansas City Missouri area (able to operate in Missouri). Does any one have a good recommendation for one they work with?
Real Estate Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 537 posts · 292 votes
8y
We recommend taking your time in finding a solid property management (team) company that suits your needs just like you would take your time doing due diligence before making a wise investment. There are lots of companies to choose from and their personalities vary as such. Ask around town and be sure to pick a company (team) that works and lives in or close to the areas where you desire to own investment property. Other key factors to consider or inquire about: Does the PM company have an automated phone system or when you, a tenant, or a client calls them, is there a live person on the other end? Does your property manager even own property and are they actively investing in real estate? Are you more concerned about working with a company that has great technology, systems, and websites or are you more concerned about how they execute and if they can resolve issues in a timely manner? Ask your potential PM team how proactive they are and how much time they spend "out in the field". Note: Investing in real estate is not for the faint of heart. Investing in and around KC takes lots of guts. If you can make it here then there aren't many places where you couldn't make it. One more Note: You are investing in real estate and people (it's a team sport) -- Problems will arise and you can proactively combat them before they come up as best you can. The opportunities can be amazing and so can the risk that is involved when acquiring property from a different state. If you have a hard time handling and dealing with property managers, contractors, or maintenance folks in your home state then what makes you think it'll be any easier from out of state? It's crucial to have realistic expectations. You'll want to go to the place you wish to invest, visit, meet face-to-face, belly-to-belly with the folks who will be overseeing your assets. If you are able to, Go back when it's time to close your first deal and then go back before, during, and after the renovation process. If you aren't able to do this then it's encouraged to take even more time and put more energy on the front-end choosing which team will be your go-to squad. Cheers!
Bradenton FL · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 7 votes
8y
Just wanted to chime in here, I'm also looking for a property manager to not only manage the property but also manage a rehab in KC. I live out in NJ so there will be lots of trust involved. I looked up KC home rental and found nothing but terrible reviews on Google, also MGC says that they are not accepting any new investors. Anyone have any other recommendations for what I'm looking for?
Real Estate Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 537 posts · 292 votes
8y
We recommend taking your time in finding a solid property management (team) company that suits your needs just like you would take your time doing due diligence before making a wise investment. There are lots of companies to choose from and their personalities vary as such. Ask around town and be sure to pick a company (team) that works and lives in or close to the areas where you desire to own investment property. Other key factors to consider or inquire about: Does the PM company have an automated phone system or when you, a tenant, or a client calls them, is there a live person on the other end? Does your property manager even own property and are they actively investing in real estate? Are you more concerned about working with a company that has great technology, systems, and websites or are you more concerned about how they execute and if they can resolve issues in a timely manner? Ask your potential PM team how proactive they are and how much time they spend "out in the field". Note: Investing in real estate is not for the faint of heart. Investing in and around KC takes lots of guts. If you can make it here then there aren't many places where you couldn't make it. One more Note: You are investing in real estate and people (it's a team sport) -- Problems will arise and you can proactively combat them before they come up as best you can. The opportunities can be amazing and so can the risk that is involved when acquiring property from a different state. If you have a hard time handling and dealing with property managers, contractors, or maintenance folks in your home state then what makes you think it'll be any easier from out of state? It's crucial to have realistic expectations. You'll want to go to the place you wish to invest, visit, meet face-to-face, belly-to-belly with the folks who will be overseeing your assets. If you are able to, Go back when it's time to close your first deal and then go back before, during, and after the renovation process. If you aren't able to do this then it's encouraged to take even more time and put more energy on the front-end choosing which team will be your go-to squad. Cheers!
Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
All PM companies have terrible reviews on google! It’s hard to find a good one. The only way you’ll really know is if you try them out. Don’t sign a year agreement, make sure you can get out with 30 days notice. I’m going to try Rowan next. Had terrible experience with PMI.
Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 0 votes
8y
Thanks @Lee Ripma. That's so true about Google reviews, I feel like that's made it harder to decide on who to use. You're not the first owner I've heard to have trouble with PMI, and they were high on my list initially, so I'm glad I've gotten that feedback.
Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 0 votes
8y
@Luther Wilson III thanks for the reply. I’m definitely doing what I can to vet a PM before I move forward, but it’s hard to know what I’ll get before I actually work with them. I feel like finding a PM that I can break from with 30 day’s notice is good because they have a lot more vested in doing a good job - they could more easily lose my business. Not sure if it really plays out that way though!
Real Estate Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 537 posts · 292 votes
8y
Right on, @Chris Schroeder. Yup, there are so many factors that come in to play when dealing with rental properties, PM's, and the whole bit. Sometimes I wonder, if when problems arise in this arena, is it more so the nature of the real estate rental business in general or is it the people that are involved in it or maybe is it both and then some? I believe a lot of it has to come down to the the personal investor's or their group's overall strategy and their expectations when dealing with rental properties. I don't think I've ever heard an investor say that they enjoyed or had a good time owning or managing rental properties. lol. And I've only heard one investor in my entire life tell me that they even liked the income that they were able to draw from their residential SFH rentals. Most of the stories us real estate professionals in this arena hear about are the ones in which the investors lost money or the nightmares about what went wrong and who did what, etc. Yet, we still willingly consult with the investors and still help them through their issue. Let's face it: Managing rental properties is not easy and it's not fun. If it was then everyone who owns them would be doing it themselves. I get it: You work a full time job and you have kids and you're busy coaching little league or your time is better spent finding that next hot deal or you're retired and you want to travel more! Whatever the case may be -- you can't or won't take the time and energy to focus on managing and maintaining your own rental(s) so you hire others to help you out along the way. Be mindful, courteous, and respectful of the folks who you commission to deal with your headaches. The complaints from investors about Kansas City PM's, contractors, and maintenance folks are endless. Dealing with rental properties is tough in general. It's especially tough in and around cities like Kansas City where crime tends to be off the chain and where most of the occupants in these homes are not well-educated and struggle-hard financially. Be mindful of the nature of the industry and areas you're dealing with as well. The KC market is super attractive because of the low barriers to entry, low cost of living, higher overall return opportunity, etc., etc. Just know that there are extra risks involved in such endeavors. Cheers! :)
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y
I've heard Voepel is pretty good, but I've never used them so I can't vouch for them. It would probably be worth at least talking to them as seeing what you think. Finding a good property management company is tough.
Real Estate Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 537 posts · 292 votes
8y
Thanks, @Lee Ripma! Wish you all well on your search and endeavors! If you ever have questions about KC in general or the market overall or or input about real estate investments here, reach out to us. We'll gladly give you our input.
Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 4 votes
8y
Hi @Chris Schroeder & @Lee Ripma! I have heard good things about Rowan but I think we are also pretty great! :) Depending on the property type and location, we might be a good fit. I would be happy to discuss further if you haven't already made a decision. Thanks!
@Robert Campbell - As mentioned above, depending on the property and location, we may be able to help you with the rehab and management. Feel free to reach out if you still need assistance. Thanks!
Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 0 votes
8y
Hi @Paul Branton, I appreciate you reaching out. I actually exchanged emails with Jill about a week ago, but my price point doesn’t match with your target. Thanks!