Seeking Sell vs Hold Advice

Seeking Sell vs Hold Advice

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 180 posts · 144 votes

I'm really interested to get some opinions from other BP members for what price point you would sell to cash out vs hold for cash flow.  I'm considering selling two properties located in smaller towns outside Charlotte, NC (one small apartment building, the other a portfolio of houses):

1.  An 8plex generating $3,850 per month revenue ($500 per unit, will be $4,000 per month as two older leases renew later this year).  Taxes and Insurance are $3,500 per year together, property management 8%, no mortgage.  Normal maintenance and vacancy, no special appreciating foreseen.

2.  A portfolio of 1 duplex and 4 single family homes generating $3,750 per month in revenue (all close together in a small town).  Taxes and Insurance are $4,500 per year together, property management 8%, no mortgages. Normal maintenance and vacancy, no special appreciating foreseen.

I look forward to seeing how other investors make this decision.  Thanks!

Chris

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

I've also been thinking about this topic, but more with regard to SFH. What my thought process has been is: how many years of cash low would I get it I sell? I'm thinking if I could get 7 years of cash flow immediately with no additional work or investment by selling I might do so. Interested to hear others thoughts.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 180 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    Tim,

    I love the idea!

    Thanks,

    Chris

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 180 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    Chris,

    Great to hear from you again!  I love this idea.  You're numbers are spot on for me deal.  Can't wait to get together.

    Thanks,

    Chris

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 180 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    Thomas,

    I agree about the refi and leverage, thanks.  I raised the rents from $375-$425 per month to $500.  I think it's right, but will investigate if there's room.  It would boost my value for sure.

    Thanks,

    Chris

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 180 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    Cory,

    Wow, great information!  Thanks so much for the advice.

    Chris

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Wow! This is a timely thread. I have a duplex in a 1031 that I bought for 280 and can sell for 400 plus. Rents for 2900/ mo. Wife says take a profit. If I can parlay it up to a 10 or 12 unit I'm on it; but we already have a surplus of cash-so why bother selling. Not finding any good buys in my market right now, and I am looking off the MLS.

    @EricJames  if my VF is 1500 and equity after expenses is 80k we have 5 yrs CF-really like your formula BTW-so there is not much point in selling. I have other MF properties, and would like to buy more; but I think it is a good time to go fishing instead.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Edit: CF not VF! Sorry.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Wow! This is a timely thread. I have a duplex in a 1031 that I bought for 280 and can sell for 400 plus. Rents for 2900/ mo. Wife says take a profit. If I can parlay it up to a 10 or 12 unit I'm on it; but we already have a surplus of cash-so why bother selling. Not finding any good buys in my market right now, and I am looking off the MLS.

    @EricJames  if my VF is 1500 and equity after expenses is 80k we have 5 yrs CF-really like your formula BTW-so there is not much point in selling. I have other MF properties, and would like to buy more; but I think it is a good time to go fishing instead.

    The '7' number isn't some kind of hard and fast rule I use, but is about where I might be likely to think about selling. 

    Yeah, if you couldn't use the profit for a while might be better to hold for now. I'm buying SFH off market using the BRRR strategy and generally shouldn't have a long delay before I could reinvest the profit.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Eric James:
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Wow! This is a timely thread. I have a duplex in a 1031 that I bought for 280 and can sell for 400 plus. Rents for 2900/ mo. Wife says take a profit. If I can parlay it up to a 10 or 12 unit I'm on it; but we already have a surplus of cash-so why bother selling. Not finding any good buys in my market right now, and I am looking off the MLS.

    @EricJames  if my VF is 1500 and equity after expenses is 80k we have 5 yrs CF-really like your formula BTW-so there is not much point in selling. I have other MF properties, and would like to buy more; but I think it is a good time to go fishing instead.

    The '7' number isn't some kind of hard and fast rule I use, but is about where I might be likely to think about selling. 

    Yeah, if you couldn't use the profit for a while might be better to hold for now. I'm buying SFH off market using the BRRR strategy and generally shouldn't have a long delay before I could reinvest the profit.

    Eric, I hope you can see from Bjorn's post that as well as "the '7' number", the cashflow-to-equity Ratio could be more relevant, as opposed to just looking at the number of years of cashflow you'd be getting upfront, right? eg. If you're getting $100k for a free-n-clear property that had been cashflowing at $800/m (equivalent to 10%/y), it'd be time to sell according to you, right?

    Whereas if you owed $80k on it, you'd cash flow ~$300/m instead, but for your outlay of just $20k, you'd only need 4-5 years cashflow in your formula to arrive at the same decision!

    I certainly prefer formulas that reflect % return on investment, rather than just dollar returns!

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:
    Originally posted by @Eric James:
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Wow! This is a timely thread. I have a duplex in a 1031 that I bought for 280 and can sell for 400 plus. Rents for 2900/ mo. Wife says take a profit. If I can parlay it up to a 10 or 12 unit I'm on it; but we already have a surplus of cash-so why bother selling. Not finding any good buys in my market right now, and I am looking off the MLS.

    @EricJames  if my VF is 1500 and equity after expenses is 80k we have 5 yrs CF-really like your formula BTW-so there is not much point in selling. I have other MF properties, and would like to buy more; but I think it is a good time to go fishing instead.

    The '7' number isn't some kind of hard and fast rule I use, but is about where I might be likely to think about selling. 

    Yeah, if you couldn't use the profit for a while might be better to hold for now. I'm buying SFH off market using the BRRR strategy and generally shouldn't have a long delay before I could reinvest the profit.

    Eric, I hope you can see from Bjorn's post that as well as "the '7' number", the cashflow-to-equity Ratio could be more relevant, as opposed to just looking at the number of years of cashflow you'd be getting upfront, right? eg. If you're getting $100k for a free-n-clear property that had been cashflowing at $800/m (equivalent to 10%/y), it'd be time to sell according to you, right?

    Whereas if you owed $80k on it, you'd cash flow ~$300/m instead, but for your outlay of just $20k, you'd only need 4-5 years cashflow in your formula to arrive at the same decision!

    I certainly prefer formulas that reflect % return on investment, rather than just dollar returns!

    Good point. I don't have high equity in any properties, so haven't had to consider this yet. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.