House Hack: Conventional or FHA loan?

House Hack: Conventional or FHA loan?

Jonathan JordanPro Member
Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 11 votes

Hello all,

I have purchased a few properties for investment, but am looking to finally have a primary residence. I have found a quadplex that I plan on house hacking and was originally going to get an FHA loan on the property as that is what I have always heard. In talking to a mortgage lender she was saying that with the insurance FHA charges, and the PMI, it may be better to get a conventional loan as the rates for FHA and conventional are very similar (4.375%, 4.5%). I do have 20% I could put down for the conventional, but wondering if it would be better to save some of that money to put into other deals/investments? In running the numbers through the BP calculators, the conventional gets me better cashflow, but the FHA has better Cash on Cash.

Thoughts?

1Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

@Jonathan Jordan look into whether you can qualify for the 5% down conventional loan. Most of my clients in the Berwyn/Brookfield area here do 5% down conventional loans for their first house hack, and then they do a second one with the 3.5% down FHA. The 5% down conventional loan is one of the biggest "cheat codes" that is out there in my opinion!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Braden Downs

    Without much more detail, that should still a single family.  For example, a mother/daughter (aka in-law suite) is still a single family.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    I just bought my first duplex as a house hack. 3% down conventional loan

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.