Using FHA for "primary residence" and later renting it out?

Using FHA for "primary residence" and later renting it out?

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes

I understand that FHA loans are only allowed to be used on a primary residence, so I'm wondering if there's anything illegal about getting a 3.5% down FHA loan and moving into the property, then eventually moving out and turning it into a rental. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could successfully do this and get away with it, but I would like to know if this is actually illegal. I don't want to break any laws or official rules.

Anyone know how that would work? Would you somehow be made to refinance upon moving out?

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

I understand that FHA loans are only allowed to be used on a primary residence, so I'm wondering if there's anything illegal about getting a 3.5% down FHA loan and moving into the property, then eventually moving out and turning it into a rental. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could successfully do this and get away with it, but I would like to know if this is actually illegal. I don't want to break any laws or official rules.

Anyone know how that would work? Would you somehow be made to refinance upon moving out?

 Your occupancy promise on paragraph 6 of the deed of trust lasts for 12 months. After that, you've fulfilled your occupancy promise and can move out, converting it fully into a rental. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Yakima, WA · Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 42 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed coined this as "house hacking."

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Soelberg:

    @Account Closed I am thinking about doing the same thing in a couple years when I go to physical therapy school! From my understanding, you only have to live in the property for a year and then you can use it as a rental. If you decide to purchase a 2-4 unit. You can even live in one of the units and rent out the others. @Brandon Turner coined this as "house hacking."

     Ah ok, so after living there for a year you can do whatever you want and still keep the loan then? Do you know if this is still allowed if it's not your first home purchase?

    Seems like a solid plan if everything works out alright.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I understand that FHA loans are only allowed to be used on a primary residence, so I'm wondering if there's anything illegal about getting a 3.5% down FHA loan and moving into the property, then eventually moving out and turning it into a rental. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could successfully do this and get away with it, but I would like to know if this is actually illegal. I don't want to break any laws or official rules.

    Anyone know how that would work? Would you somehow be made to refinance upon moving out?

     Your occupancy promise on paragraph 6 of the deed of trust lasts for 12 months. After that, you've fulfilled your occupancy promise and can move out, converting it fully into a rental. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Account Closed I am thinking about doing the same thing in a couple years when I go to physical therapy school! From my understanding, you only have to live in the property for a year and then you can use it as a rental. If you decide to purchase a 2-4 unit. You can even live in one of the units and rent out the others. @Brandon Turner coined this as "house hacking."

     Ah ok, so after living there for a year you can do whatever you want and still keep the loan then? Do you know if this is still allowed if it's not your first home purchase?

    Seems like a solid plan if everything works out alright.

     Yup, that's correct. I have clients doing 3% to 5% down over and over again every 12 months and 1 day (or as close to it as can be done). :P

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Chris Mason Awesome, thanks for the info man. That's very good to know. I would have thought there'd be some kind of rule preventing that. Now are your clients you mentioned doing FHA loans over and over? Or just low-down-payment conventionals over and over?

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Chris Mason Awesome, thanks for the info man. That's very good to know. I would have thought there'd be some kind of rule preventing that. Now are your clients you mentioned doing FHA loans over and over? Or just low-down-payment conventionals over and over?

    FHA is such a nice option for first-timers that many think it's a first time homebuyer program (it's not), but once you start getting into multiple rentals and this "nomad" strategy, FHA is rarely the model match.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Chris Mason Awesome, thanks for the info man. That's very good to know. I would have thought there'd be some kind of rule preventing that. Now are your clients you mentioned doing FHA loans over and over? Or just low-down-payment conventionals over and over?

    FHA is such a nice option for first-timers that many think it's a first time homebuyer program (it's not), but once you start getting into multiple rentals and this "nomad" strategy, FHA is rarely the model match.

    So even these low down payment conventional loans have that 12-month occupancy requirement then? I have a 97% LTV mortgage on my primary residence myself but I was unaware of that clause in my paperwork, if there is one in my particular case.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2010 · 350 posts · 222 votes
    8y

    I also have lots of clients doing this model. We typically only do FHA if it is a multi-family for their first one. Otherwise, we're doing conventional financing. If you do a search for Nomad podcast or Nomad classes in your favorite search engine, there about 100 webinars/podcasts on this exact topic and how to do it.

  • Akron, OH · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    I was told by my lender that i couldn't do it again in 12 months, can only get 1 FHA loan at a time, would have to refinance into conventional, but that would require a 75% LTV when refinancing, i dont think a year will allow me to pay down to 75% after putting 3% down, if you have a client that does this somehow, can you elaborate please, would be a great help to me an others im sure, 

    thankyou!

    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Soelberg:

    @Account Closed I am thinking about doing the same thing in a couple years when I go to physical therapy school! From my understanding, you only have to live in the property for a year and then you can use it as a rental. If you decide to purchase a 2-4 unit. You can even live in one of the units and rent out the others. @Brandon Turner coined this as "house hacking."

     Ah ok, so after living there for a year you can do whatever you want and still keep the loan then? Do you know if this is still allowed if it's not your first home purchase?

    Seems like a solid plan if everything works out alright.

     Yup, that's correct. I have clients doing 3% to 5% down over and over again every 12 months and 1 day (or as close to it as can be done). :P

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ali Zahran:
    I was told by my lender that i couldn't do it again in 12 months, can only get 1 FHA loan at a time, would have to refinance into conventional, but that would require a 75% LTV when refinancing, i dont think a year will allow me to pay down to 75% after putting 3% down, if you have a client that does this somehow, can you elaborate please, would be a great help to me an others im sure, 

    thankyou!

    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Account Closed I am thinking about doing the same thing in a couple years when I go to physical therapy school! From my understanding, you only have to live in the property for a year and then you can use it as a rental. If you decide to purchase a 2-4 unit. You can even live in one of the units and rent out the others. @Brandon Turner coined this as "house hacking."

     Ah ok, so after living there for a year you can do whatever you want and still keep the loan then? Do you know if this is still allowed if it's not your first home purchase?

    Seems like a solid plan if everything works out alright.

     Yup, that's correct. I have clients doing 3% to 5% down over and over again every 12 months and 1 day (or as close to it as can be done). :P

    Reminder again: FHA loans aren't the only game in town for 3% to 5% down.

  • Akron, OH · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    I didnt know that, cool

    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @Ali Zahran:
    I was told by my lender that i couldn't do it again in 12 months, can only get 1 FHA loan at a time, would have to refinance into conventional, but that would require a 75% LTV when refinancing, i dont think a year will allow me to pay down to 75% after putting 3% down, if you have a client that does this somehow, can you elaborate please, would be a great help to me an others im sure, 

    thankyou!

    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Soelberg:

    @Account Closed I am thinking about doing the same thing in a couple years when I go to physical therapy school! From my understanding, you only have to live in the property for a year and then you can use it as a rental. If you decide to purchase a 2-4 unit. You can even live in one of the units and rent out the others. @Brandon Turner coined this as "house hacking."

     Ah ok, so after living there for a year you can do whatever you want and still keep the loan then? Do you know if this is still allowed if it's not your first home purchase?

    Seems like a solid plan if everything works out alright.

     Yup, that's correct. I have clients doing 3% to 5% down over and over again every 12 months and 1 day (or as close to it as can be done). :P

    Reminder again: FHA loans aren't the only game in town for 3% to 5% down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.