So many options! Out of state buying? (long)

So many options! Out of state buying? (long)

Renter · seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 59 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions and many concerns! :D

My wife and I are soon to be first time RE investors.
One thing we have to work around, is that we travel non-stop for work.

In every city we go to (including canadian cities), we always take a look at the prices of multi-family units (2 to 4 units), and also take a look at average rent rates.

In most (if not all) of the places Ive been to, I rarely see many (if any) properties that show an annual 10% return on the total cost of the property. I do search a fair bit as well.

From the areas Ive visited for work, the best Im seeing are (approx) $48-50K yearly rents for $380-400K fourplexes.

What confuses me, is that on this forum, I see some write about duplexes at 50-70K bringing in $9,600-12,00 yearly. Or one case where someone wanted to negotiate a 4plex for approx $120-130K (listed at 170K) that brought in $38,000 yearly.

This is making me re-think everything.

I initially thought that bringing in 10% was a good place to start, but seeing people listing 15-20% returns just really confuses me.

Are these gold mines, the one in a hundred type of properties? Or have I just not been in the right cities/states?

Im mostly in the NW (washington, oregon, hawai'i, Idaho and Alaska) but have also worked a lot in the NE (Boston and surroundings, RI, and around L.I. NY)

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    I don't know what you do for a living, but I'd be willing to bet you just aren't traveling to the right cities to see the great RE deals.

    Generally, when you get into higher-priced areas (multi-units selling for more than $80K per door), the short-term cash returns aren't going to be nearly as good as those locations that are selling for $20-40K per door.

    Also, a lot of the great locations for cash flow are going to be on the outskirts of the cities (and/or suburbs) as opposed to within the developed parts of the cities where values will tend to be higher (as there is generally more rental demand).

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    15y

    Definitely not the right areas. J Scott pretty much nailed it as usual.

    Check areas in the rust belt. Midwestern cities tend to have lower property values. A colleague of mine is working on a 35 unit building in Indy listed at $150k.

  • Renter · seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 59 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    This makes sense.

    Im usually working in areas that are already developed, or right in the city center.

    I really need to do more research.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.