Joshua Tree Short Term

Joshua Tree Short Term

Investor · Valley Glen, CA · Member since 2013 · 247 posts · 111 votes

I own 2 STR in Big Bear and manage / Co-host 10 others. Now looking into Joshua Tree. I know many buy in Yucca and still do well on AirBnB / Short Term - but is it better to be in JT proper? Does walking distance to town/ JT Saloon matter or better to be a bit north and have 2 or 3 acres?

2Reply
334 views

Most Popular Reply

Santa Ana, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 54 votes
8y

Broad question, so here's an overview of the area:

Joshua Tree National Park (JTNP) is the tourist attraction. The entrances you need to know about are the West entrance (in the city of Joshua Tree) and the North entrance (in the city of 29 Palms). The best views, attractions, hiking, picnic areas, and campgrounds are near the West entrance. It is about a 45 minute drive from one entrance to the other (if I remember right).

Yucca Valley is adjacent to Joshua Tree (the city). Lots of stores (Starbucks, grocery stores, fast food). New sewer ordinance may add future cost to a purchase. There was some debate over the new STR ordinance, but overall not too restrictive. About 15-20 minute drive from Yucca Valley to the West entrance of the park, depending on where you are in Yucca Valley. City mostly populated by locals, which is why there was some neighbor complaints and debate about short-term rentals in the city.

Joshua Tree is a community and not technically a city (it is a census-designated place and considered part of the unincorporated zone of San Bernardino County, therefore subject to county laws regarding STRs). They are very community-oriented and do not want big businesses in their "city". They even successfully fought to not have a Dollar General Store open up in the community. Therefore, Airbnb's (and STRs) are a large part of the community economy since there are no large hotels or motels. Airbnb is not likely to ever go away or be prohibited in Joshua Tree. Highway 62 runs through Joshua Tree. Generally, north of the highway, you can find cheaper real estate (esp if you are looking for wide open land and lots of multiple acres). You can also find the same as you head east on Hwy 62 toward 29 Palms (city where the marine base is located). As you head down Park Blvd (which turns into Quail Springs Rd) toward the West entrance of  JTNP, you will find plenty of neighborhoods. Locals generally want to live south of the highway. A lot of great communities, but they get more and more expensive as you move closer to the entrance of the park (Friendly Hills, Upper Friendly Hills, Joshua Tree Highlands, Monument Manor). To get a big lot of land in these areas is likely going to be very pricey, especially as you move closer to the park entrance.

29 Palms is further east (marine base is located there, so you have the military-type community and strong traditional rental market). Wonder Valley is even further east (may be up and coming, but a lot of wasteland-looking properties out there still). 29 Palms is very STR-friendly and they recently passed an ordinance that favors STRs. However, the average daily rate as you head further east is lower than in Joshua Tree proper, even though you have the convenience of the North park entrance.

I own and operate 2 rentals out in Joshua Tree, one in Friendly Hills (less than 5 minutes from the saloon in a neighborhood) and one in Monument Manor (a mile from the West entrance and in open land, 7.5 acres). Most that come out to Joshua Tree want the open land and the feeling of isolation. However, our rental in the neighborhood still does well, as we did modern decor and market it toward all the millenials and city-folk who are heading out for short vacations.

I would recommend you look first in Joshua Tree proper, preferably south of the highway (although there are good rentals that do well north of the highway). Just know that although the tourism has increased, so has the # of Airbnb properties, so you have to be able to compete somehow if you want to keep your occupancy high. Find a way to stand out from the competition in a trendy way and you can do well.

Love the area and would invest in the area 1000 times over if I could do it again. Another thread here on BP said that if they were to invest in the area again, the one thing they would do differently is start 2 years earlier! Prices have increased dramatically, but there are always deals to be had.

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Valley Glen, CA · Member since 2013 · 247 posts · 111 votes
    5y

    Yeah I'm out for now- I own 2 and manage 20 in Big Bear for almost 7 years now- and when I see the $200k 600sq ft homes suddenly selling for $380k in Big Bear- it's not even worth the investment at that point. 

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @John Lee ...so informative. Thank you. Looking into the area !!

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @John Lee thank you for all the info !!!

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Jason Boritz

    Did you you finish your tiny home project. Can you tell me how the process went. You happy with the area. What were the cost involved with completing the tiny house ie utilities .. foundation, permits etc. Thank you so much!!!

    Oh rents your able to get in the area your in. Did you do a two bedroom?

    Thx again, Jason.

    Jeffatjeffhubert.net if you want to reach me directly.

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @John Lee ...Is there anyway I can talk to you about doing short term rental in Joshua tree and a zoning question.

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Jason Boritz hi. Where in JT do you have your STR. what area you suggest as I would like to buy land and put a couple of tiny homes on the parcel. What zoning should I look for. I'm sure utilities are not at the larger parcels of land as well. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you! Happy New Year!

  • Jeff HubertPro Member
    Realtor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Mike R. Like to find out if your in JT. Looking to buy land there would like to ask you a few questions. Do You have a prop management co!?

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Jeff Hubert just purchased 2 properties in yucca valley and setting up a property management company. Want to chat?

  • Investor · Valley Glen, CA · Member since 2013 · 247 posts · 111 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Hubert:

    @Mike R. Like to find out if your in JT. Looking to buy land there would like to ask you a few questions. Do You have a prop management co!?

    Hi, yes I do have a management company for the last 7 years- currently managing 20 homes in Big Bear and now expanding out to JT and Palm Springs. 

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Has anyone on the forum dealt with a detached building when they apply for their STR permit through San Bernardino county? I am evaluating a house now in Joshua Tree in RL (rural living) zoning and want to eventually rent it out short term when I'm away. The property includes a 600 sq ft detached building that probably used to be a garage, but was converted beautifully to a studio apartment with bathroom, kitchenette, and looks to be up to code. Electric outlets every 10 feet, windows, sliding door, etc.

    my big concern is- to get my STR permit, are they going to make me build a new carport to replace the converted garage? I've heard but not confirmed that for RL zoning, a carport replacement is not required. Whenever I call the SB County asking questions of what I would need to do in order to include that studio as part of the STR listing (put a bed in the studio), they have no answers for me. I've asked where on their website I can read the rules or ordinances, and they only have 1 str ordinance online that doesn't answer this question.

    Has anyone dealt with this? I want to ensure that I can include that building as a habitable space as part of the listing, but no one can give me answers on the hoops I may need to jump through or the money I would need to spend.

  • Real Estate Professional · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi all, great info in these posts.  I'm about the start the process with a property in Joshua Tree and intend to make it a full-time vacation rental.  It has been a challenge to find a good general contractor.  I would really appreciate any leads.  Also would love to connect with other investors looking to do similar builds in the area to discuss any potential opportunities to collab/share resources.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @John Lee thanks a lot for that overview. Super helpful. 

    How difficult is it to get a STR permit? Are they restricting the number they're giving out or just more strict on the requirements? Just want to follow how this plays out. I'm looking to invest in JTree for my first STR deal sounds like there is still a lot of opportunity here.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Sean Supple I can't speak to Joshua Tree but Yucca Valley next store is looking at implementing more regulations based on public sentiment. That said, there seems to be a lot of support for STRs from the people who make decisions (just from what I can tell). So while the permit process was slowed down by covid and the county taking stock...my neighbor applied in December (or Jan?) and was still able to get his. We're submitting applications for both our properties in the next week or so. 

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    I am in escrow for a house in Yucca Valley and will soon be applying for the STR permit. Does anyone know what happens if a neighbor appeals or have heard from anyone who got turned down for a permit? I just want to make sure if you follow the rules and guidelines you will get the permit. Also any recommendations for contractors would be great. Love to network with anyone taking this journey. I have a lot of experience with real estate and vacation rentals in Los Angeles but am new to the Joshua Tree area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 33 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Katy Reid:

    @Sean Supple I can't speak to Joshua Tree but Yucca Valley next store is looking at implementing more regulations based on public sentiment. That said, there seems to be a lot of support for STRs from the people who make decisions (just from what I can tell). So while the permit process was slowed down by covid and the county taking stock...my neighbor applied in December (or Jan?) and was still able to get his. We're submitting applications for both our properties in the next week or so. 

    Were you able to get your permits?

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Chris Carr still working on it. Submitted to San Bernardino maybe a month ago and they are reviewing still. My Yucca Valley property I haven't really even started yet. I requested the 300-foot radius info and then my check got lost in the mail. False start! 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    Hi we are closing this week on our YV property, pretty excited to renovate and create an STR! @Marc Castleman @Katy Reid would love to chat more!

  • Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    I'm looking at Landers right now for a STR. Does anyone know how successful it would be? I know it's a bit far from JT but has its own draw (Big Rock, ATVs, integritron). @Mike R, you might know since you manage properties? Thanks in advance... we really want to buy something there!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    If it's a good property, well done, and well managed it'll do well. Doesn't really matter if it's in Joshua Tree or Yucca or Flamingo Heights or further. Depends on things like the specs, what amenities you are including, how secluded are you, etc.  

  • Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Katy Reid, thank you! That's encouraging. Personally we love it out there, and it feels close enough to JT/Yucca Valley to me. 

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    If you love the desert areas I would say explore the surrounding neighborhoods to JT... people definitely go there. Joshua Tree is NOT appraising and properties are selling for upwards up 100k over asking on some pretty tiny places, it's been wild! If you a truly investing then you'll seeing the dollars just aren't in it right now. There are still plenty ty of investing opportunities just look to the outskirts is my opinion! 

  • Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    I just opened escrow on a Jackrabbit Homestead in Landers. Better prices than JT and not too far away. It's off-grid at the moment with utilities nearby so that'll be the first thing we bring in. Looking forward to hanging onto it for awhile and doing a slow fix, and someday unload it for a nice profit! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed I'm new to the thread and I know it's been awhile but I'd love to learn more about the good and bad areas to invest in the high desert. Any insight at this point would be helpful. 

  • Southern California · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Hi All! I too am new to this thread but wanted to post here because I recently closed on a property out in the Joshua Tree area and wanted to join in on the fun! I referenced Joshua Tree "area" because it's technically in the city of Yucca Valley, CA. 

    I did some research on AirDNA and noted that it performs relatively similarly to Joshua Tree STRs. Can anyone attest to this? My investment was based on data from AirDNA and I am wondering if anyone here can attest to whether I can rely on AirDNA's data.

    Thank you all!

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 2 votes
    5y

    Hi everyone I live in San Diego & want to buy property near Joshua Tree & have a STR . Anyone know of any good property managers to help with guests and handle cleaning since I would be too far away to handle myself . I did talk to a company called worryfree air b n b . They help with everything but for 20 percent of the profits

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.