Wife won't ask husband to sign the deed

12 Replies

I found a single family home in Jacksonville Florida. The husband and wife have not talked in over 10 years and have been split up but not legally divorced. I guess he was the abusive type. The wife is ready to sell me the home but she will not approach the husband that lives in a different city about signing the deed. Since they are not legally divorced I'm having a problem with the closing. Does anybody have any creative ideas how I can close this deal?
@Bob B. I agree. That's my last resort I was trying to see if there was any other creative legal ways or loopholes first. The wife is willing to sell it for a very cheap price and I'm concerned estranged husband is going to want double

@Mark Fries if they are both on the deed, then he is part owner so I don't think there is any way around him signing off on the deal, minus her getting divorced and dealing with the dead prior to selling. It is hard to say what he will want. He could just sign and ask for nothing. He may want part of the proceeds. He may be willing to take some small amount of fast cash just to sign off on it. Or he may accept nothing, just to be a thorn in her side. It depends on his character and his need for money.

The first question you should ask her is how much of the proceeds she is willing to give him. If she is willing to give him nothing, then it means anything he gets comes out of your pocket. Run the numbers before you contact him to understand what you can afford. Maybe you offer the guy $5000 to sign and he gets quick, unexpected cash. 

She is being unrealistic as it will never sell without his signature. i would call him and feel him out as to what he wants. If thre is still animosity betwen them then maybe your angle would be for him to sell you his half as a way to stick it to her. 

Another option is to just offer here a token amount of money for a quit claim to her half.  Then try to work a deal with the husband.

@Mark Fries Look up hIs resudence Stop at his house .Introduce yourself and explain the sItuatIon man to man Flash a thousand dollars cash in front of him while your at the door to entice him .i certaInly would not start with a big number like 5 grand . Who knows maybe he’d agree for really cheap . Money changes minds especially cash .

Who knows he might be two months behind on his truck payment and something as small as 500 bucks would be a dreamCome true to get him out of a bad situation right now .He probably has little emotional connection to the house being it’s been a decade since he left it so some quick easy cash in his pocket would be something he didn’t have the day before .

Originally posted by @Dennis M. :

Who knows he might be two months behind on his truck payment and something as small as 500 bucks would be a dreamCome true to get him out of a bad situation right now .He probably has little emotional connection to the house being it’s been a decade since he left it so some quick easy cash in his pocket would be something he didn’t have the day before .

I see it going one of two ways, either he is happy to take some quick cash or he refuses to sign at any price just to piss her off. One way to deal with the husband if he is vindictive is agree to make the check payable to both of them.