Entrepreneurship & insominia

Entrepreneurship & insominia

Specialist · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 33 votes

Running a buisness is most definitely one of the most challenging journeys of my life so far. Along with the responsibility comes.. the stress! Maybe it is just me, but i find myself having trouble turning my brain off before bed. I know by consuming real estate all day, it is almost inevitable that this is what i will be thinking about before bed. Its even in my dreams! Does anyone else have this propblem? Tips for placing my mind elsewhere when trying to rest?

4Reply
143 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

I believe it is important to win the first few hours of the morning and the last hour of each day.

No visual electronics...wind down with something unrelated to work.

Sounds silly but give yourself permission to sleep. Restless sleep = poor work.

Practice gratitude...for the things you accomplished during the day. Daily progress is the real goal...the end result is never fulfilling as we constantly move the goal line.

If my mind is spinning and I can't sleep, I listen to a podcast to distract me. It helps me doze off...or I learn stuff.

Get up early. When I hit the gym early in the morning, I'm pretty tired at the end of the night.

A cold one and/or some fun between the sheets doesn't hurt either...

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    @Joshua Levasseur Your friends may not be on the same path, but it doesn't mean all of them need to be dropped out of your life. That can get lonely. Not everyone is going to be passionate about Real estate. 

    I find myself feeling the same way at times, but its not them, its me and my obsession with RE. I have found that forcing myself to get out with friends and doing something other than my passion always makes me feel better, but its hard. 

    For example, a few weeks back me and a couple buddies went to VT for the weekend, spent a couple days up there hiking the Adirondacks, going to the shooting range, and eating some really nice meals. At first, I didn't want to go because I was comfortable going to the rental, working on it, coming home, going to bed, getting up for work, and repeating the process all over again. But I went, and had a blast. And I felt refreshed afterwards.

     Also a good point. Man cannot live on bread and rehabs alone! Take a vacation from the project on a regular basis, whether it's an actual vacation - i.e. skip a weekend - or just a mental vacation - go/do/think about something fun. Then get back to it. You do come back refreshed. You just have to be careful to not overdose on the vacation, either.

    When I am in the middle of a heavy rehab I find skipping a weekend in a non-crucial time period is essential to keep me from losing my own mind. That will be a weekend that me & the wife go do something, or take the dog to the park, or just sit on the front porch BSing and drinking some coffee or wine. A couple of good days off from the rehab always gets me ready to jump back into it. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Joshua Levasseur Same! all of my friends are about 10 years older than me, lol. Good thing we are starting young, imagine where we will be in 10 years! 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    With a vigorous napping schedule, I'm sometimes not that tired at bed time.  Say I take my first nap at 10am, then my regular one at 2pm. See?  I know what you mean!

    Seriously, writing things down helps get them out of your head.  I like 5 things I'm grateful for and to plan my next nap, I mean day.  Good luck. We've all been there!

     This works like gangbusters. Read the "Getting things Done" book by David Allen revolutionized the way I think of tasks. I haven't even come close to implementing his whole system, but just writing things down and getting them out of my skull has made a miraculous difference in my stress level. I have a running "To Do" list on my phone, that's filled with all kinds of crazy crap (I haven't made it to the categorization level in GTD system yet) and whenever I find I have some down time, I scan the list, see what I can do, do it and delete it from the list. My mind wanders far more often now, freely, rather than obsessing with stuff I'm terrified to forget about because I have such an awful memory. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Specialist · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @JD Martin haha i see your point. At the end of the day balance is key. Finding the right balance is my next challenge. I will take it from you guys though! Really appreciate the input! 

  • Specialist · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Karina S. Right! First they'll ask you why your doing it, then they'll ask how you did it. Patience always wins.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Joshua Levasseur it’s happening to me too but it could be because of a newborn. I found that white noise and hypnosis worked, and also, a warm bath. I heard that if you can’t sleep, might as well just get up and do whatever is on your mind, for example, writing a business plan. Sometimes the best idea came in the middle of the night!
  • Specialist · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Handie Kunen I usualy have a fan going or something of the sort. I feel like i would be up all night if i did that haha.

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    7y

    melatonin is a natural (to your body) sleeping aide, it helps you fall asleep.

    now if you have unexplained insomnia that lasts longer than a few nights, and you live in a Lyme endemic area, it may be worth looking into Lyme.  Insomnia is one of the early signs of Lyme/Co-infections.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Maybe try this: https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/fall-aslee...

    And try to drink a bit less coffee (that helped me).

  • Specialist · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Syrios I enjoyed that alot haha. Most defintely will be trying this. Thanks! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 893 votes
    7y

    @Joshua Levasseur you again! Haha.


    I've not exactly struggled with sleep, but with waking up still tired regardless of how much I slept... losing strength under the barbell, not being interested in things I'm usually interested in (ahem...LMAO). The solution for me was

    1. taking huge actions to get the success i need to feel comfortable

    2. NOT GIVING A _________ about whether my business succeeds or not, but acting in a manner that leads towards success.

    3. Organizing your day/week/month so you only think about 1 item at a time, and not moving on to the next item until you've completed the current one.

    It's not about placing your mind elsewhere, distractions won't fix you. Address the root problem. Your business is not so important that it should warrant compromising your health. Be ok with failure in exchange for your well being, then get back to work. 

  • Specialist · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 71 votes
    7y
    A few steps to help with anxiety: -Make fitness a priority, this can work wonders for your mind and body when it comes to tension and sleeplessness. - limit or cut out caffeine. So many people say they have trouble sleeping even through they say they don't drink a lot of caffeine.... Well it may be enough to have a negative effect. - as mentioned, take a few minutes to solidify in your mind what your direction for the day with your business needs to be. This can help with keeping all the second guessing and added stress at bay. -This one sounds very simple, but just breathe.... Take a deep breathe for 3 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, then out for 3 seconds. Do this pattern for at least 3 times.... This sounds easy, and it is, but sometimes we need to slow down and just take a deep breathe. I hope this helps someone!
  • Rental Property Investor · Fitchburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    @Joshua Levasseur 

    One thing I find is helpful is having a strong bedtime routine. I know it sounds basic but before bed every night do the following: 

    1. Stretch! Stretching is so good for your body and mind, and a great way to calm down anxious nerves. The key is to stretch mindfully, which brings me too...
    2. Mindfulness meditation and/or reflection: mindfulness done at any time of the day is incredible over time. Before bed it helps relax your body and mind. I like to do 5-10 minutes in the morning and just a couple minutes before bed. Reflection is giving yourself a bit of CREDIT for what you accomplished that day or giving yourself a break from what you didn't accomplish that day, instead redirecting to the overall upward trend of your life as well as a few affirmations. I like "I can't wait to wake up tomorrow feeling rested and motivated."
    3. Reading: Lastly, I read either a hardcover book or a kindle (old school with no backlight or sidelights on lowest setting) (no phones, tablets, laptop screens) until I am dosing off and basically about to drop the thing on my face (this has happened before :D) then go to sleep :)

    It's definitely a set of habits, but once you get yourself conditioned to fall asleep after these triggers it gets easier. You're already doing the Miracle Morning (which I do too!), think of this as "The Miracle Bedtime" lol

    Other little tips are probably things you've heard before like never look at your phone or email or anything if you wake up in the middle of the night. Also, you can try a SAD lamp in the morning to stimulate a stronger circadian rhythm. Don't drink caffeine (soda, coffee, tea after noon). Melatonin is great on occasion but long term is can worsen or cause depression in some people.

    If you haven't read it, I highly recommend High Performance Habits!

  • Specialist · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Joe Arida Thanks Joe! Will defintely look more into my bedtime routine. Stretchingis one thing i havent tried. Look forward to our call tomorrow at 5! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fitchburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 60 votes
    7y
    @Joshua Levasseur definitely! Very much looking forward to talking as well!
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Joshua Levasseur - I use the "getting things done" method which is basically a highly organized to-do list.  By writing every little thing down and allocating specific time per each task it helps me feel control over it all.  So when I go to bed at night if something pops up I write it down on my list and reassure myself that it will get done when I wake up.  

    https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-t...

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    @Joshua Levasseur Insomnia can be a symptom of a lot of different things. Hard one to pinpoint, but stress doesn't help! Look into GABA and the role of has on your brain and "shutting down" at the end of the day. A GABA deficiency which can lead to insomnia and restless nights. We really don't recover unless we reach REM state so we need to do everything we can to get there every night. I dealt with it myself and hadn't had dreamt for years. I found research pointing to magnesium biglysinate and Pharma-GABA 10 taken in combination have a great effect on sleep state. If I find the research, I'll post it here. Something about the magnesium biglysinate helping transport the oral dosage of GABA through the blood brain barrier and getting it where it needs to go. I'm not being paid by Thorne to say this, but their products are some of the best on the market. Give it a try one hour before bed every night. Works like a charm for me!
  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    7y

    Tim Ferriss has a chapter on this in Tools of Titans with some interesting info. The one I found most interesting was to play Tetris for 10 minutes of all things. It's supposed to help clear your mind.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

     I spend my evenings counting my money.  

    It's very tiresome and I usually can't finish counting it before falling asleep. lol

    The only time I do have a problem is when I take a longer than usual afternoon nap. (true)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.