Rental Property Investor · Memphis area · Member since 2018 · 103 posts · 51 votes
Short story is I did the walkthrough on a potential investment property sfh and it needed work but it was an off the mls deal from an out of town investor who had some family members living there mooching off her until finally she decided she wants to sell the property....anyway, I close on the deal and go to the property to do my post closing walkthrough and the previous live ins decided they would take a few light switches and light fixtures and they took all the bulbs out of the house....left wiring hanging out where light fixtures should be....anyway, so I get a good light bulb and test out the bathroom fixtures and master bedroom lights and they do not work! They were working just fine before i closed on the house......now, not so much. Now I have to hire an electrician to figure out why some of my lights work and others dont.....yes I checked the breaker. SO....
I will contact the law office that I closed with tomorrow to see what can be done if anything, but shouldnt ther be a stipulation about this in the papers somewhere about the property needs to be same condition as the showing? It was a cash deal so there are no lenders involved if that matters....what would you do?? Thanks.
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y
@Clinton Davis
Well what is the timeline here exactly? You walked through an hour before closing, it was still tenant occupied, then the day after closing its vacant?
Well what is the timeline here exactly? You walked through an hour before closing, it was still tenant occupied, then the day after closing its vacant?
I walkthrough 4 days ago....people still living there.....they are supposed to be gone on the morning of closing (today) which they were....but so was the fixtures and switches...however, i did not know this until after I closed on the house and got the keys and went over there right after closing this morning. Sorry for any confusion.
Well what is the timeline here exactly? You walked through an hour before closing, it was still tenant occupied, then the day after closing its vacant?
I walkthrough 4 days ago....people still living there.....they are supposed to be gone on the morning of closing (today) which they were....but so was the fixtures and switches...however, i did not know this until after I closed on the house and got the keys and went over there right after closing this morning. Sorry for any confusion.
So back to my first post, you have to walk through before, not after. As you can see, a lot can happen in 4 days. You should always go through a property within a few hours before you close. Anything can happen. What if a tree fell through the house, or what if it had burned down, or what if the tenants destroyed it.
Once you have closed, you have said Im good with the condition of the property as it is right now.
Well what is the timeline here exactly? You walked through an hour before closing, it was still tenant occupied, then the day after closing its vacant?
I walkthrough 4 days ago....people still living there.....they are supposed to be gone on the morning of closing (today) which they were....but so was the fixtures and switches...however, i did not know this until after I closed on the house and got the keys and went over there right after closing this morning. Sorry for any confusion.
So back to my first post, you have to walk through before, not after. As you can see, a lot can happen in 4 days. You should always go through a property within a few hours before you close. Anything can happen. What if a tree fell through the house, or what if it had burned down, or what if the tenants destroyed it.
Once you have closed, you have said Im good with the condition of the property as it is right now.
I see...no more early morning closings for me! Thanks for the advice.
Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 15 votes
7y
Im guessing its nothing you can do but repair it. going to go back and fourth with the seller wont solve anything and the blame will be put on the renters, fyi change the locks and cover the windows you don't want the old tenants to be back.
Real Estate Investor · Clovis, CA · Member since 2014 · 195 posts · 194 votes
7y
Get everyone out (and all of their stuff) at least one day before closing. Then do your walk through after they’re out. (Try and get permission to change the locks as soon as they’re out). Make it a condition of the close .... “escrow will not close before tenants have been out for at least 24 hours”. If they aren’t out in time - don’t close.