Make your money when you buy: How to justify the relativity.

Make your money when you buy: How to justify the relativity.

Rental Property Investor · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hello all! I am so pumped to be on this Real Estate journey with all of you. I have been studying the world of REI for probably about a year now. I have aimed to take achievable and actionable steps towards my goal of buying my first property with intention to rent or flip by connecting with local investors, evaluating deals, and of course listening to the BP Podcast/reading books.

With that being said, I am slightly hung up on this idea of "buying it right." Many obviously support the idea of buying below current market rates to hedge against a market correction. As investors, we aim to purchase deals with immediate equity. But with a "good deal"  and appropriate purchase price being relative to the conditions/price of the market comps across the board. How do you decide how much of a discount is enough of a discount?

For example, let's say the going rate of comps within a specific set of Single Family Homes is 350K-$375K. This is within a fairly hot market. If I have found a "good deal/discount property" for 285K-300K that needs 15-20K of improvements.  Is this enough buffer to take the risk and make an investment considering the market adjusts and now said house is right back to market rates? I'm basically confused because "buying it right (price wise)" seems like a relative concept. 

How do you approach/justify/hedge for this question. Hopefully this makes sense (happy to clarify if it does not). All opinions are greatly appreciated. 

-Levi

1Reply
22 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @Levi Todd Warren Buffet will buy a great business at a fair price. I just bought that. It is a piece of crap 1960s condo on the bus route close to University of Texas with coffee shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance. I plan to spend quite a bit and work quite a bit and the price I paid was no great bargain. But UT and Austin keep growing and becoming better known so getting rent at that location is guaranteed (so a business) and same size houses inthe area are 2-3x the price and newer, much nicer apartments are going up but their rents are higher than mine have to be (moat...another Buffet term/goal). So you make your money when you buy by negotiating a killer deal so creating instant equity, or buying a good business (high stable/increasing demand) with a moat so limiting competition. My moat is lower rent (I know the new apartments can compete there but with building costs I cannot see how...oh, and other moat is tiny yard for pets. Pet owners like pet doors to a yard.). So killer price or great business with some sort of moat at a fair price.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.