I'm in the land developping business for 3 years now buying large acreage and subdividing into smaller lots. I want to diversify and either build new to rent or buy used to rent. I can go into the single family and up to duplex easily but would prefer going into the 4plex and bigger. The 4 -6 plex buildings in the Montreal area are 400 000 - 650 000 for the 6 plex. After putting all the numbers i have to put out part of the property taxes?? not a good deal. Of course when you factor in the 30% downpayment i then have + cash flow but how do i recoop my downpayment? Do you have any ideas or do we just forget about the 120 000$- 195 000$ put down.
Rental Property Investor · Laval, Quebec · Member since 2014 · 104 posts · 44 votes
7y
Hi Luc,
To recoop the downpayment you have to buy properties either below market value, or that have forced appreciation potential. I don't know any areas in Montreal where you can get a 4plex for 400k, maybe Pointe-aux-trembles but I don't know that market.
Most of what you'll find on MLS in the 4-6 units range does not cash flow based on asking price.
Thanks Philippe for the confirmation. That is why I'm thinking of building new. My brother is in construction, i think we could probably get some positive cash flow by going that way. I save more when i build new cottage to rent vs buying an MLS cottage to rent out, should probably be the same in this type of building. What do you think.