Buying New Townhouse in Phoenix Biltmore Area

Buying New Townhouse in Phoenix Biltmore Area

Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can provide some insight or opinion on purchasing a higher priced townhouse in the Phoenix Biltmore area.

Here’s the details:

I currently own a condo in Tempe,AZ that I recently rented out and My tentative plans are to keep buying properties, living in them for a year or 2 and then renting them out.

The new place are that I'm looking at purchasing is new construction to be finished in a month or 2. "Encue Biltmore" is the community on 24th Campbell. HOA is $247/month and I verified they allows rentals. The townhouse unit I like has 3 bedrooms, bonus room on first floor and also a rooftop deck facing camelback. The Unit is priced at $525k.

Basically, I’m concerned that I’m making a bad decision and it’s going to be hard to rent out a townhouse in the price range of 2,800-3K or worst case scenario trying to sell in a couple years since buyer at 500k+ price points are typically more selective/picky.

Anyone else own higher priced rentals in Biltmore area or Old town Scottsdale? Would you recommend against buying a more expensive place and rent it out?

Do roof top decks help for rentals or even selling?

Do you think old town or South Scottsdale would be a better location? There’s also some newer condos that I looked at in those areas that I’d be interested in purchasing since the HOAs are lower.

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Things have been heating up in the Biltmore area for years, and the prices certainly reflect that. There has been a ton of luxury condos built in that area and in Scottsdale, and the prices seem to defy reality for what you're getting (No land, no driveway, shared walls). 500k+ for a townhouse/condo as a personal residence is one thing, but it seems like a lot to spend on a rental property when you can only rent it for around 3k. 

    There are single family homes and other condos in the area that you can get for significantly less that may provide a better ROI.

    Buying a luxury condo at what appears to be at or near the top of this market may prove to be a not-so-prudent decision. I know of an individual who made a similar purchase in 2006 and sold earlier this year and still took a loss. Maybe you can find something you can force equity into and possibly BRRRR some of your cash back out. Trust your gut on this one and keep looking for a better deal. If you can't make the numbers work upfront, they definitely won't work any better once you own the place.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 103 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    Run away! Wayyyyyyy to expensive!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.