Developer called said they want to buy my property, what do i do?

Developer called said they want to buy my property, what do i do?

Rental Property Investor · El Monte CA · Member since 2018 · 134 posts · 66 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets members wondering if anybody has experience in this subject. I have a property right in the middle of a growing city. Its a duplex non conforming, now its zoned commercial. My 1.5 acre property is on a block that everyone knows will be developed sooner or later and today I got a call from a developer saying they want to buy my property for cash and asked how much do i want for it. I said i dont know you tell me? My property currently is cashflowing $2,550, plus looking to rent another room out for another +$800 a month should be rented for that amount within a month or 2,  plus my plans this year is to rent that extra acre left over for another $500 a month more. I explained to them that, so they can see im not just a homeowner with the property doing nothing and that its already doing good for me. Whats happening in the city is an Aldi just went up on the same block few houses down, across the street from that a very big shopping center is going up with a Sonics restaurant and more, what triggered this is a huge company came to town. It will be fully built in the next 3 month (after 2 years of building it) with 600 new jobs. When they call again i will say to them again i am interested in selling but for a price that ill make money on if not it wont be worth it for me because Ill Still make the same amount of money they want to pay me in X amount of time Plus still have the property. Any suggestions what to do? Tell them I want a big amount now or hold off till things get way hotter and then sell? if so anybody hold off so long that they got a very huge payday? Thanks 

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

@Rudy Avila you should reach out to several local realtors, especially those that are in the commercial space. You need to get a handle on how much your property is worth today, and more importantly, the future value of the property. The commercial brokers that are working with developers would be a good place to start I would think. 

On a more simplistic note, if you are getting great cash flow then you should figure out how many years of cash flow you are recouping when you sell. If you are only recouping a few years, it may not make sense to sell. If you are getting 15-20 years worth of cash flow then why not?

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Rudy Avila you should reach out to several local realtors, especially those that are in the commercial space. You need to get a handle on how much your property is worth today, and more importantly, the future value of the property. The commercial brokers that are working with developers would be a good place to start I would think. 

    On a more simplistic note, if you are getting great cash flow then you should figure out how many years of cash flow you are recouping when you sell. If you are only recouping a few years, it may not make sense to sell. If you are getting 15-20 years worth of cash flow then why not?

  • Rental Property Investor · El Monte CA · Member since 2018 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @John Warren You nailed it! thanks! thats exactly what i was looking for

  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Rudy Avila you should reach out to several local realtors, especially those that are in the commercial space. You need to get a handle on how much your property is worth today, and more importantly, the future value of the property. The commercial brokers that are working with developers would be a good place to start I would think. 

    On a more simplistic note, if you are getting great cash flow then you should figure out how many years of cash flow you are recouping when you sell. If you are only recouping a few years, it may not make sense to sell. If you are getting 15-20 years worth of cash flow then why not?

    I would not work with the brokers that are working with the developers you received intent to buy from.  That brings you into a dual agency situation which may not result in the best representation.  Depending on your states regulations regarding dual agency, it may or may not be possible.  Either way I would highly suggest working with your own Realtor, representing only you.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    @Trenton Miller

    Like Warren said. Find highest and best use. If its something very profitable then you can have engineering done and have that property sold with plans. Can be pretty profitable.

    Good luck

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 703 posts · 446 votes
    7y

    I have had this happen to me on a property I own.  I brushed him off for about 2 years and they are slowing buying everything up around me and I had no idea.  Then they contacted me again and gave me a super low ball offer and I countered with almost double.  They passed and we are still in the waiting game.  I would just keep cash flowing and play the wait it out game

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.