Advice Buy with Cash or Finance.. Please Help!

Advice Buy with Cash or Finance.. Please Help!

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hello All,

Quick background.. I started real estate in 2005, bought multiple properties (high-interest loans, arms, etc.). I had no idea what I was doing.. (was 21). Went through the recession and ended up short-selling my properties.. 

Faster forward to 2010 I obtained my real estate license and started investing again, but this time buying properties outright.. 

My passive income is 5k month and I have no debt..  I also have a full-time job in IT management 

I live in a townhouse and have been saving up to buy a property for my growing family.. I have 3 kids (under 4) so as you can imagine living in a townhouse has been difficult.

I have $500k in liquid and have always had the mindset of buying my new primary residents using cash as I've been burned by loans in the past.. 

Recently, I started thinking this through a little more, and would like to put 20% down on a house and take the remainder and acquire more properties when the market drops.. 

My goal is to have 12-15k net of passive income..

What are your thoughts? What would you do? Appreciate everyone's help!

0Reply
13 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Faraz Ahmed I think you're in a great position and have a pretty solid plan. I definitely wouldn't buy the new primary residence all cash especially if your plan is to more than double your passive income with rentals.

    Do the 20% down on a 15 or 30 year fixed so you don't have to worry about getting burned by balloon payments or your rate going up; then focus on acquiring more rentals! It sounds like you have a solid plan and you're on the right track, I would do exactly what you're doing.

    What areas in Chicago are your buy and holds?

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Faraz Ahmed  Good to hear from you on here! Definitely get a loan on your house and use the balance for investment.  If you plan on buying and staying in a home for a while I would even encourage putting less down on your personal residence especially if you can find a good deal where you might close and have some additional equity if you bought right.  What ever you put down on your house will stop earning you cash flow and interest elsewhere.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thank you. @Igor Mike Kajpus My rentals are primarily in the northwest suburbs.  Since I work full-time and manage my own properties, I don't invest outside a 5-7 mile radius from where I live.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Mark Ainley  Thank you. Was thinking about you the other day as I saw one of your work vans in the Wood Dale area!

     Great to hear from you.. I've been following your work, and it's very inspiring. It's great to see that you have grown over the years. 

    May ping you for some additional advice down the road if you don't mind. 

    Hope to bump into you soon. 

    Faraz

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.