Sell home or rent it out for next 3 years?

Sell home or rent it out for next 3 years?

Dover, DE · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

So we’ve owned our SIngle family home for 3 years and are about to move overseas for 3 years (I’m an officer in military).  We will definitely be renting a home overseas.

Is it best to sell this home when we move this summer or rent it out for 3+ years (then possibly sell when we return to USA).

We owe 273k on house.  Zillow says it’s worth $295k.  I think we could rent it for $1800/mo.  Our mortgage + hoa comes to $1475/mo.  House has 4 beds, 2.5 baths (2300 sq ft) plus finished basement (1000 sq ft with “bedroom” and another bath.

My thought was 3 years of renting it out would reduce principle and hopefully home would appreciate.

0Reply
39 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dover, DE · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Not sure that it matters, but I have a VA loan.

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mike Carollo I would definitely sell it. Best case scenario, it gets rented to the perfect tenant and they always pay on time, nothing breaks in 3 years, the property manager is excellent, and the tenant stays the entire 3 years. You will barely cover your expenses. Yes, 3 years of mortgage pay down is great, but then what will the market look like in 3 years? Nobody knows. Recession? Boom? Now wake up and stop dreaming. The above scenario is never going to happen. I would sell. If you break even, great. It's better to lose some cheese to get out of the trap.

  • Dover, DE · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    If we decided to hold on to it long term does it make sense to hold it?  OR is the house not profitable enough to make it worth the headache/risk?

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Mike Carollo In your situation the headache/risk is not worth the estimated return. The market is at or near the top so I wouldn't bank on future appreciation. Property management takes 10-12% of that $1800 each month. As a long distance investor you can't DIY anything or save money fixing leaking plumbing. I'd sell the property in the spring when things heat up. Good luck! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.