I ran numbers on rental property. Did I do it right?

I ran numbers on rental property. Did I do it right?

Attorney · USA · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 2 votes

Here is my breakdown I did today of a property. Do you guys donit like this? What can I do different/ better?

Thanks!

https://ibb.co/CWMXg1p

0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 291 posts · 308 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Arnett...First off I would start using an online calculator on BP or somewhere else whenever possible.  It will help ensure you calculations are correct.

      At first glance, $1500 in rent for a 260k+ property isn't a deal that I wouldn't as the numbers are very tight in my opinion.  I don't know what goes into the $1,200 a month in costs.  Is that your mortgage, taxes and insurance number?  If so what about repairs & maintenance?  Again, not knowing your market but most investors will tell you to not bank on appreciation and I see you have it at 8% per year.  This is pretty risky, especially if you plan on exiting the deal in 3 years.  What if that doesn't happen?  I don't see anything in here for sales costs like 6% agent commissions, closing costs, etc.  There are a number of assumptions made that I think make this deal very risky.  If everything goes well in 3 years you'll have made just under 12k in cash flow for your 52k down payment, but you hope to walk away with over 2.5 times your original investment.  This is a speculation deal. 

    The math appears to be correct.  I just don't think the way you went about using the math is.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.