What is the smartest way to invest $100k?

What is the smartest way to invest $100k?

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a few rentals that are cash flowing. Nothing too serious, but each month they bring in an extra ~$1k total. 

I’ve saved up an additional $100k and I want to know what the smartest play would be?

Should I pay off one of the mortgages on an existing property?

Should I buy another property? I could put the $100k down on a property I found that would then cash flow about $500/month. 

Should I hang onto the $100k and wait for the inevitable recession?

Would it be possible to find an opportunity that has the potential for even more upside and profit? If so, what should I look for and how would I find it?

I have the $$ to invest, but I wonder if there may be a better investment than increasing my cash flow by $500/month. Or maybe that is the best I could hope to get. 

Anyone with any thoughts?

0Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Hi George,

    I think it will depend on your overall situation. How many properties do you have and what are the loan balances? How secure do you feel about your income? Do you have reserves for your existing properties? I think if your LTV is 65% and lower I think you can look for another property.

    I think you should stick to the type of property you know and build off of that. An extra $500 a month to your portfolio would be great as long as you don't drain your savings. Should keep $30k on the side just in case.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I have two properties. A townhome and a duplex. The loan balance is 65.8% of the value of the properties. 

    My income is fairly secure. I'm not going to find myself with zero income overnight, but I also recognize my current job is not going to last forever.

    The $100k includes the reserves for my properties.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.