Appraiser Missed Two Car Detached Garage in 1st Appraisal

Appraiser Missed Two Car Detached Garage in 1st Appraisal

Rental Property Investor · Keene, NH · Member since 2018 · 114 posts · 73 votes

I am looking to refinance a duplex that I purchased in July using an FHA loan, and am trying to get an approximate idea of whether or not there is enough equity to refinance into a conventional mortgage. We paid $163k and the house originally appraised for $186k. We have a loan balance of ~$158k. LTV based on the original appraisal is therefore around 85% -- not enough for a conventional refinance.

Since purchasing the house, we've put over $20k of work into it; unfortunately, some of the big ticket items are non-contributing improvements (e.g. we found out after closing that one of the furnaces and both water heaters needed to be replaced.... home inspector apparently wasn't as thorough as he should have been). One project that might add value was the construction of a curtain wall that subdivided a large, awkward bedroom into a nice MBR and a new fourth bedroom with a large reach in closet.

In reviewing the appraisal, I noticed that the appraiser had observed the existence of the attached one car garage, but missed that the property also has significant driveway parking and a detached two car garage. I imagine that the inclusion would have driven the estimated value even higher.

Obviously a new appraisal would be required for a refinance, but I don't want to go through the time, paperwork, and expense if I'm not confident that the property will qualify. Does it seem reasonable to expect that turning a 3 bedroom into a 4 bedroom and "adding" a 2 car garage would yield the 11.5k needed to get to 80% LTV? For further context, one of the comps was a 4 bedroom, and the fourth bedroom was adjusted out at $6k. The one car attached garage was adjusted the garage-less comps upward by $5k, so I would hope that a 2 car garage would be worth a little more than that.

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Dulce BeltranPro Member
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 52 votes
7y

@Christopher Freeman If it's not too late, you can contest the Appraisal if it is within the 6 month period lenders prefer to have. State the Appraiser missed the items you listed. It will go back to the Appraiser and they make an adjustment in your favor. 

Also, you can simultaneously (help avoid a second appraisal fee since you're not confident) call your real estate resources aka commercial agents to comp out the property, particularly CCIM designated. You can reach out to residential agents too, I have just found that not many understand how to properly comp a duplex+. The appraiser will pull similar properties and you can also provide the comps you receive to the appraiser as reference. In my experience, the appraiser has focused on the properties I provide as I may have more knowledge of the property and location then they do. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dulce BeltranPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Freeman If it's not too late, you can contest the Appraisal if it is within the 6 month period lenders prefer to have. State the Appraiser missed the items you listed. It will go back to the Appraiser and they make an adjustment in your favor. 

    Also, you can simultaneously (help avoid a second appraisal fee since you're not confident) call your real estate resources aka commercial agents to comp out the property, particularly CCIM designated. You can reach out to residential agents too, I have just found that not many understand how to properly comp a duplex+. The appraiser will pull similar properties and you can also provide the comps you receive to the appraiser as reference. In my experience, the appraiser has focused on the properties I provide as I may have more knowledge of the property and location then they do. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    The replacement cost of 1 more stall is often $4-5K in most part of US. It is not considered living space and appraiser has a lot to say whether he compare to a 1 car or 2 car or even 3 car stalls.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Sam Shueh. Why do all BP investors think they can do better then an appraiser when they aren’t appraisers ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Keene, NH · Member since 2018 · 114 posts · 73 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth, not sure if you're implying that I'm acting like I can do better than an appraiser (that's not my goal), but not sure why the garage was omitted other than that it is set much closer to the neighbor's house than our house and may have been mistaken. We also have a public utility box between the house and the driveway, which seems to trick people into thinking the property line is right against the garage.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Freeman:

    @Caleb Heimsoth, not sure if you're implying that I'm acting like I can do better than an appraiser (that's not my goal), but not sure why the garage was omitted other than that it is set much closer to the neighbor's house than our house and may have been mistaken. We also have a public utility box between the house and the driveway, which seems to trick people into thinking the property line is right against the garage.

    I’m guessing your garage doesn’t count as living space and that’s the reason it didn’t affect the value that much.

    What did you pay for it?  What did it appraise for and what do you think it should appraise for? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.