Investing in CA from NV or other states?

Investing in CA from NV or other states?

NV · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 4 votes

I’m trying to figure out the implications of living in Nevada and investing in California. nV is a no income tax state, with investing in CA would I need to pay CA income tax? What other tax or things would I need to look out for? Any first hand experience would be great. Thanks

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Sean Weichel:

I’m trying to figure out the implications of living in Nevada and investing in California. nV is a no income tax state, with investing in CA would I need to pay CA income tax? What other tax or things would I need to look out for? Any first hand experience would be great. Thanks

 There's money to be made in any state, but you know your back yard better than you know my back yard, and that knowledge is gold. Relevant podcast episode featuring a well known poster, @Account Closed hosted it.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean Weichel:

    I’m trying to figure out the implications of living in Nevada and investing in California. nV is a no income tax state, with investing in CA would I need to pay CA income tax? What other tax or things would I need to look out for? Any first hand experience would be great. Thanks

     There's money to be made in any state, but you know your back yard better than you know my back yard, and that knowledge is gold. Relevant podcast episode featuring a well known poster, @Account Closed hosted it.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

  • Lender · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 248 votes
    7y
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Sean Weichel

    I don’t know what those Ellie’s have to do with your question...

    But, my guess is you would owe California taxes. They tax Californians who invest in Nevada so I assume they won’t let a dollar escape their grasp. Hopefully with depreciation you won’t owe much/any taxes anyway. (I have to file in MN for my one property there but have yet to owe a $.)

    Did you really find a better deal in California than Nevada? You’re doing it backwards compared to most Nevada/California cross state investors. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.