New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 7 votes
BP,
My wife and I are going through our inspection report for a two family we have an accepted offer on and the inspector noticed that there are black soot like heat streaks staining above the baseboard heat in the bedroom and living room of rental unit. Does anyone out know what could be causing this problem? Thanks.
The baseboard heaters are probably in need of cleaning. Take the covers off and check the fins. The heat will create condensation on the wall and the dirt/dust sticks to it.
New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 7 votes
7y
@Theresa Harris thanks for getting back to me. I figured the same thing would need to get done. I have also discovered through some research that the problem could be from a tenant to who is a chain smoker....which the current tenant is!!! The staining could be becasue these heaters draw air in from the bottom and push it out the top. so any dirty air is pulled through the heater and pushed out the top causing stains on walls. Thanks again!!